Now that was hot

It was dim. Amoriel could make out lots of bulky shaped that looked like pieces of machinery, but she couldn't be sure. Leo was right behind her, pulling out his hammer. She activated her bow and quiver. 

They silently looked around. The catwalk that they left Piper and Jason on was empty. Somewhere below, on the factory floor, Piper's voice cried out, "Leo, Amoriel, help!". But she and Leo looked at each other. That couldn't be right. 

How could Piper have gotten off the catwalk and landed on with a broken ankle? They quickly slipped behind a cargo container, and then hide behind similar pieces of junk and machinery, they slowly made their way to the center, behind a robotic arm.

Piper's voice called out again, but less certainly this time, but very close, "Guys? Are you there?" Amoriel peeked around the arm. Leo couldn't bring himself to. Suddenly, it sounded like something was getting up. She turned to look. 

"Told you it was nothing." said something. Its voice was way too deep and feral to be human. The thing opposite him got up too. There was something in between them. But she couldn't see what. The second one said, 

"Leo! Amoriel! Help-" then his voice changing to deep and feral like the first one. "Bah. There's no-one out there. No demigods could be that quiet, eh?" 

"Probably ran away, if they know what's good for them. Or the girl was lying about two more demigods. Let's get cooking." 

Suddenly, there was a burst of white light, and the scene was alight. There were two figures either side of the fire. There was a...spit, Amoriel thought. In horror, she realized there was a truck engine dangling above it. And two figures were dangling from it. They were Jason and Piper! 

Jason looked alive enough, but he was unconscious, and there was a large red welt the size of an apple above his left eye. Amoriel winced. That must have hurt. Next to him was Piper, wriggling from side to side. At least she was alive and conscious. 

They were wrapped in bandages like cacoons, and they had gags over their mouths. It might have been funny, except they were about to get roasted by...it hit her. 

Monocle Motors. How did she not get it before? The cooks were Cyclopses. Three massive humanoids were gathered around the fire. The two on either side of the fire were around ten feet tall, and they were very hairy. One was wearing an uncomfortable-looking chain-mail loin cloth. The other was wearing a fuzzy robe made out of...was that fiber insulation wire? Anyways, Amoriel was pretty sure these two beasts wouldn't have made it into her top ten wardrobe choices. 

The ginormous humanoid in between them was facing away from the arm she and Leo were crouching behind. They were wearing a metal...dress? and they had dark hair. 

She'd seen some weird things so far, like a metal dragon that liked Tabasco sauce or Ventis. But this was different. These were flesh and blood 10-foot monsters who wanted to eat her friends for lunch. Their weapons looked tiny against these humanoids. This is what Dirt face was talking to Leo about. 

Leaving her, Piper and Jason to be at the mercy of the cyclops menu. Leo took his bag, and slowly started unzipping it. She grinned at him. He had a plan. The cyclops in the chain mail loincloth walked over to Piper, who squirmed and tried to headbutt him in the eye. Amoriel smirked and did a silent, small fist pump. 

"Can I take the gag off? I like it when they scream." He directed this question at the third cyclops, who was obviously the leader. The crouching figure grunted, and the cyclops pulled the gag off Piper. 

She didn't scream. She took a shaky breath, trying to stay calm. Meanwhile, Leo was pulling stuff out of his tool belt and backpack. Amoriel crossed her fingers, hoping he would hurry. They were running out of time. He also had to stay really quiet. It seemed impossible that he could do anything without making a lot of noise. The cyclops in the fuzzy robe poked at the fire,