14. Saving Asher

Shaky breaths. 

Burning hotness that threatened to turn him into ash.

There was no escaping it. There is no way to prevent or shield from it. The shadows from both of their pasts, their hot, burning traumas, and fears that drowned them in never-ending darkness. Was there an end to their suffering? Asher wasn't sure.

He was trapped inside his own mind. The form he took was of his body from his original world. Sickly pale, burnt hair, dry lips. He took a few shaky steps while trying to gather himself. What happened to him?

"Ah, of course." Asher mused while shaking his head. How could he have forgotten what had happened?

He had somehow fused his magical prowess with Pithos' and managed to summon the box that held a fair amount of letters and a family picture. If one thinks about it, it's the cutest idea a child could have. Filling an empty box with a beautiful picture of their family smiling happily and letters addressed towards them in what one would imagine an innocent and bright tone. Unfortunately, this wasn't the case for our beloved Asher. Just remembering what was written in those letters made his heart wrench in sadness.

The pain Asher had been experiencing had finally subsided and turned into a numbing feeling. This allowed him to deeply breathe in and actually concentrate on what was happening around him.

Closing his eyes, Asher felt two magical essences flow within him. Having had Pithos help him with summoning the box, Asher immediately took notice that this was in fact Pithos' magic helping to control whatever was happening to him. The other essence felt somewhat familiar, but he couldn't exactly figure out who it was coming from.

Three faint strings of magical prowess danced around Asher's figure. They played and danced around, painting his surroundings in an unfamiliar yet comforting scene.

Bracing himself, Asher opened his eyes to see himself in a bright and lively forest. Red and black colored birds tweeted and danced around while playing with the soothing wind. The sound of water crashing onto the rocks and created a beautiful symphony that could put anyone at ease. There were also small, yellow lights that protectively surrounded the small and lush haven.

Asher took in the view with eyes full of astonishment. However, this wasn't the only thing that had surprised him. In front of him was Asher, the past Asher. He looked exactly like the body Asher had possessed. The only difference was the strange knowing look in the small boy's eyes.

The current Asher didn't dare move while being in the presence of the past Asher. He felt guilty; guilty over the fact that he can experience the life that the little boy would've never been able to experience.

"I'm sorry..."

Asher locked eyes with the boy expecting to see anger or jealousy. However, no feelings were residing in the past Asher's eyes. There was only a thin layer of coldness that was on the verge of breaking. A thin wall that separated the small boy from the rest of the world. 

Past Asher looked away. His eyes were now focused on what lied outside the small and secure space that was created for them. 

Memories. The thing they were being protected from were the memories. Memories that belonged to both Ashers.

What first appeared before them were memories brimming with happiness. The days when young Asher played with his elder brothers. The nights when he sneaked out of his room to sleep beside his parents. The day when the Pierce family had a picnic and they all played, laughed, and enjoyed their time as a family.

For the current Asher, the memories were not much different. What first popped out were the countless nights of heavy rain and thunder. A teary-eyed Asher was engulfed by his mother's strong and warm arms. What came out next was the countless praises and kisses he had received while helping his parents out with work around the house.