Chapter 27

Maru swallowed hard as she composed herself. The rush of emotions in her system almost choked her. It was painful to remember the past, but she had to. Kailangan niyang sabihin kay Benjamin kung bakit siya lumayo at iniwan ito.

Malamlam na nakatitig sa kanya ang lalaki. Puno nang pang-unawa ang mga mata. He looked more than willing to listen to her. And that gave her strength to share the contents of her heart. "Did you remember Cindy?" her voice was throaty when she spoke.

Nagkasalubong ang mga kilay nito. "Cindy?" He looked as if he raked his memory for the name she mentioned.

"Cindy Johnson. You're ex-fiancee," she supplied the information. "She's my bestfriend." Her chest expanded when she pulled a deep breath. The memory of Cindy, looking depressed and lost when she popped in her place after her wedding was cancelled, pierched in her mind.

"Oh!" He was speechless for a moment. Napakurap ito ng ilang beses. Something flickered in his eyes as he looked back at her.

"I ran away from our wedding because..." she momentarily took a pause, and swallowed painfully. Bigla ang paninikip ng kanyang dibdib. "Because..." Buong tapang na sinalubong niya ang titig ng lalaki. She sighed softly. "That was my plan from the start, Benjamin..."

Tumiim ang pagkakatitig nito sa kanya. She was expecting that he would say something, but he remained silent. His eyes didn't show any anger, nor displeasure, but only understanding. Nakapagpaluwag iyon sa nararamdaman niyang guilt, as he continued to listen to her explanation.

Nagpatuloy siya. "You know, this is all a part of my revenge. I'm sure by now, you already have an idea. You hurt the person who wasn't only my bestfriend, but the only family I have. Cindy had been my sister eversince her parents welcomed me in their home when my family members were all killed in a car accident. Napakalaking utang na loob ang tinatanaw ko sa pamilya Johnson. I was an orphan then, mourning from the loss of my family, but they gave me hope..."

Napatungo si Benjamin. "I understand now," he spoke softly. "And I'm sorry to hear about the tragic loss of your family. That must be hard."

Napatango siya. Losing her family had never been easy. Lalo na siguro kung walang pamilyang nag-aruga sa kanya.

"I'm so sorry about Cindy, too. I know it was my fault, but I didn't mean to hurt her. Isa pa ay maayos naman kaming nag-usap. I thought we've settled things amicably."

Sadness shadowed in her eyes. "Alam mo kasi Benjamin, hindi naging madali ang buhay para kay Cindy noon," pagpapaliwanag niya. "Four years ago, Cindy became troubled. Her father died. That was just two years after the death of her mother. Imagine the loss..." Naging emotional siya sa puntong iyon. "She was heartbroken. We were both heartbroken. Cindy had been living with ease prior to that. Her parents always shelter her, provide her with everything she needed. Tapos bigla na lang ay sunod-sunod na nawala ang mga magulang niya. Hindi niya inaasahan iyon. Para lang siyang nawalan ng pakpak, ng tagapag-gabay. Kaya masyado niyang dinibdib ang maagang pagkamatay ng mga magulang niya. At hindi pa roon nagtapos ang kamalasang nangyari sa kanya. A few months later, her long-time boyfriend cheated with another girl whom he got pregnant and had to marry. Cindy was heartbroken again. Sobra siyang naging affected at naging depressed. I feel bad that time becase I was in another city, finishing my College degree. I tried my best to reach out and console her, but I know it wasn't enough. Sa pagnanais na makalimutan ang hindi magandang pangyayaring naganap sa buhay niya sa Amerika ay pumunta ng Pilipinas si Cindy. She reached out for her relatives in her mother's side. I thought that she was doing well in the Philippines because she seemed occupied with thrilling things everytime she calls me. She said that she met a lot of new friends, and was always attending parties and having fun. She seemed as if she was moving on and that made me happy. But she was the happiest when she called me one day and told me that she finally found her happiness, and that she was about to get married. I felt so happy for her. I thought that she was able to finally move on and face life with a renewed hope. Pero nagulat na lamang ako, tatlong linggo ang nakalipas magmula nang ibalita niya na ikakasal na siya ay nagpakita siya sa apartment ko. She was crying and depressed, lamenting about how unwanted and unloved she was. Turns out her wedding was cancelled. You cancelled it."