Ch. 5 It All Falls Apart

"So... what happened?" It was bright and early the next day. Sai, who had been sketching the small area full of students, turned to the two who had curious looks on their face. Sai cocked his head to the side before eyes widening in realization.

"Oh, it's you guys. It went bad." Shikamaru's eye twitched but his face plastered a calm face. He was a Nara after all and he was too tired for all this.

"W-What do you mean, bad?" Kiba asked before Sai sighed, grabbing his sleeve and rolling it up.

"He got really jealous, my arm still stings from his grip. Then he interrupted our date and dragged Naruto off. I did hear them screaming at each other outside the restaurant but don't know what they said." Shikamaru's eyes widened before he put a hand under his chin. Screaming at each other. For what? He hoped this didn't end badly for the two. He knew they used to fight all the time but that was when they were kids.

"Shikamaru, Kiba. Can I speak to you guys?" All three turned their attention to the pink haired girl who had a serious look on her face.

"Sakura...not now..." Kiba sighed as he turned back at Sai.

"He got super jealous, right? That means the plan is working! We should keep goi-"

"Guys, you should stop." Sakura interrupted.

"Look, Sakura. We're doing this for their own good. You should be happy for Sasuke!" Kiba stated in a matter-of-fact tone making Sakura's temple twitch.

"Kiba shut up or I'll shove your foot so far up your ass you won't be able to see the goddamn sun." Sakura threatened him, making Shikamaru put himself between the two before things got out of hand.

"Shikamaru. Listen, this whole thing needs to stop. And NO! I'm not asking as Sakura who has a crush on Sasuke but as Sakura, Naruto and Sasuke's friend. Don't you think if they wanted to date, they would. You shouldn't force them. They could be having problems right now that can't allow them or something!" Shikamaru's eyes narrowed at her. She knew something they didn't.

"Why?"

"Why, what?" Sakura asked exasperated.

"You know what I'm asking Sakura." She crossed her arms and looked away.

"I-I...don't know much myself but what I do know is that they have their reasons. We should let them be. If it happens, it happens."

"And if it doesn't?" Sakura let out a boisterous laugh.

"You really think they won't? I bet if they were reborn into some weird alternate ninja universe they'll still be chasing each other to the ends of the Earth. It's..." she saw as Sasuke and Naruto entered through the gates of the school, both turned away from each other but still in close proximity,"... it's just a matter of time..."

What was going on? Why were they like that? They look pissed. Was it at someone or was it at... each other?

"I think Sakura has a point, Shikamaru." Sai spoke up as he too saw the scene before him. Even Kiba had a worried expression as the two parted ways, Naruto making his way to one of the buildings on the left side of campus while Sasuke went to sit on a bench under the shade without looking back at the blond.

"I'm going to talk to him." Shikamaru said, pushing himself against the wall he was leaning in and making his way over to Sasuke.

"Sasuke, can we talk?" Sasuke looked up at Shikamaru before glaring at him and turning back to reading the book in his hand.

"C'mon, don't be an asshole. What would Naru-"

"Don't say that name!" Sasuke stood abruptly, jabbing a finger at Shikamaru's chest.

"And get the hell away from me, if you know what's good for you." Shikamaru blinked, turning his gaze from Sasuke to the finger pressed painfully on his chest.

"Sasuke, what the hell is wrong wit-"

"Sasuke. Come here." Shikamaru paled as Sasuke turned stiff. He had never ever seen that expression on Sasuke's face. Hell, he didn't even think he could make that face.

His dark eyes were widened and the upper lids raised, as in surprise, but his brows were drawn tightly together. He looked scared.

"C-Coming..." that surprised him even more. His voice came out weak, like a mouse. He turned his attention to a fairly tall man of fair complexion with bright red eyes. His jet-black hair was pulled back slightly but still loose as his face was framed with centre-parted bangs that extended to his chin. He looked scarily like an older version of Sasuke.

"S-Sasuke..." he managed out but flinched as he saw Sasuke's eyes.

"... get the hell away from me, if you know what's good for you..." the sentence repeated itself like a mantra as he saw the man and Sasuke walking into the main office.

"What the hell is happening?" He thought, sitting on the bench with his face in his hands.

What he had thought was just fun matchmaking between friends had become much more.