three

There's something wholesome, there's something sweet
Tucked in your eyes that I'd love to meet
...
I like that you're broken
Broken like me
Broken - lovelytheband

Layne

Sunday morning, I got a text from Iris that asked if I still wanted to go to the party on Friday, which is today. I honestly wasn't expecting her to text me ever again, so I took it as a sign from the universe that I should go.

I told her that I would love to go, which she replied with an audio message of her squeaking with excitement. Then she told me she could meet me at Jack's so we could go to the party together.

Iris also started texting me daily.

The first day she asked me some basic, get-to-know-you questions which I asked her in return. I learned that she is from Indiana and moved here for college. She graduated from Columbia College last year and has a degree in graphic design. She works for a local fashion company on their marketing team. She designs social media advertisements and email backgrounds and templates. She works from home and only has to go into work once a week for meetings.

Honestly, it sounds like a dream job.

The next day she texted me good morning and sent me her design plans for their summer launch. She also makes little drawings for their Instagram that have inspiring messages on them. They are so cute. I want to print one and hang it in my apartment.

Every other day was relatively the same. We talked about music and movies. We have a lot in common. She's really funny too and always sends audio messages whenever she's too lazy to type.

Iris texted me this morning and confirmed our plan for the evening. I found out Fridays are the days she has to go to work so she hasn't texted since then.

Tonight isn't nearly as busy as last week, mainly because there isn't a band playing. It is still busy but not to the point where I'm backed up with orders. The crowd is also a little different than last week. They aren't as rowdy or full of energy. Everyone here looks fresh out of grad-school and are winding down from their work week. It's still loud but not nearly as crazy as it could be.

I check the time when I go to the bathroom and see that I have a little over an hour left. Iris texted me to let me know she was getting ready and should be here right at midnight. Before I leave the bathroom, I send back an 'okay' with one too many exclamation points and shove my phone in the back pocket of my jeans.

As soon as I open the door, I see that mop of brown curls walk into the bar.

I fight the urge to hide in the bathroom and instead walk back behind the bar.

Harry sits in the same seat he sat in last week and looks at Nicole as she walks by. She says something to him that causes him to roll his eyes and look away. When he turns his head, his eyes find me. I nearly stop in my tracks because of his stare alone. He looks almost annoyed now that he's seen me. He watches my every move as I get closer to him, like he's taking mental notes of the way I walk. When he realizes I'm going to take his order, he lets out a heavy sigh through his nose and looks straight ahead.

Who shit in his breakfast this morning?

I stop in front of him and lean against my hands on the counter, "what can I get for you?"

He slowly blinks up at me and raises a brow, like I should know. When I don't move, he says, "my usual." He clenches his jaw when I still don't move and narrows his eyes at me. "Jack and coke."