sixteen

No, we're not friends
Friends are something that we were
Before me sleeping in your shirt
But, baby, we're past that now
Friends don't do the things we do
We're Not Friends - Ingrid Andress

Layne

Harry didn't come into Jack's on Saturday night and I didn't see him at all on Sunday. We texted a little throughout the day, but he seemed pretty busy because his responses were short and took hours to send.

He stayed over on Monday night though. I got off work a little earlier than normal because it was so slow, and he showed up to Jack's after I had already left. He texted me and asked if I wanted to hang out. Of course, I said yes. We ordered takeout from the Thai place down the street and binge-watched a new Netflix show until I passed out on the couch.

When I woke up on Tuesday, I was in my bed and Harry was making breakfast again. He was trying to make as little noise as possible but then he dropped a pan in the sink and grumbled a loud "shit." I rolled over to see where the sound had come from and Harry was standing in front of the sink with his eyes on high alert in my direction. He gave me an apologetic smile and I just laughed. We ate breakfast and he hung around until I had to go to work – making comments on my shitty record player along with my lack of décor. I repeatedly told him to leave me alone because I'm seeing my sister this weekend and she'll help me get some stuff to bring my apartment to life.

Which brings me to today. It's Thursday night and the bar is pretty packed. I'm off this weekend and I couldn't be more excited. Not only do I get to see my family, but I actual get to go to bed at a decent hour and wake up before eleven.

I'm most excited to see Zoë though. She's been extremely busy this past week, so we didn't get to talk much aside from Ashton's birthday. I have so much to fill her in on – specifically things that involve Harry. She mentioned that she needed to tell me something when we see each other this weekend and I feel a little nervous about what that might be.

I can't think too much on it though because a group of bar-hoppers just stumbled in.

Nicole glares at them and shakes her head. Jack's is the last in a short strip of bars, so people are usually blackout drunk when they get to us. Since I started working here, there have only been a handful of bar-hopping groups and every time the bouncer had to remove them.

Seth got promoted from dishwasher to bouncer – we were desperate after the last bouncer quit to move to California – and it's his first night on the job. Nicole thought making him work a Thursday would be an average day to ease him into his new position, but by the look she's giving me, I know she's regretting that choice.

"Seth is a good guy, which is why I need to hire a new bouncer asap," she says as she makes a drink next to me.

I laugh and place a round of shots on a tray, "poor guy. Are you going to demote him back to dishwasher?"

"No," she tsks, "I'll probably put him back here with you or make him a busboy."

I consider the former and shrug, that wouldn't be so bad. Seth seems like a really nice person. He's really funny and always super sweet. I don't get to talk to him very often, but I'd like to.

Nicole leaves me alone behind the bar while I hand off the shots to one of the guys in the group. He's sober, which has me thanking the heavens. When he ordered, he noticed my annoyed expression and he apologized, letting me know they'd be leaving soon. It's his friend's twenty-first birthday, so I can't be too upset. I'd be lying if I said I didn't do the same thing.