six

I've been around this city
Something about you don't seem right
I couldn't tell if you were pretty
Something about you doing seem right
Maybe it's not my night
Fake ID - The Academic

Layne

I've been checking the clock every fifteen minutes since I woke up. I didn't get to sleep in at all because my nerves were eating me alive. The idea of being alone with Harry is making me so nervous I feel like I'm going to throw up.

Aside from a few t-shirts and a couple pairs of jeans, my apartment was relatively clean, but I needed a distraction, so I cleaned every inch of my entire apartment like my life depended on it. I even got down on my hands and knees with a bucket and a rag to clean the wood floors. I also cleaned my bathroom, and I don't think anyone has cleaned this place since the last time anyone lives here. The water was so dirty, I couldn't even see the bottom of the bucket.

I'm taking a shower now that I have nothing else to clean. I also smelled like cleaning products and sweat after I was done, and I would much rather smell like lilacs than Pine-Sol.

I take a full body shower, which includes washing my hair, exfoliating, shaving, and washing my body. It's not like this is a date – I don't know why I'm going all out.

I tell myself it's just because I'm nervous and get out of the shower.

After I dry myself off, I do my skin care and put lotion on. I put on my robe, and while my hair is still up in a towel, I do my makeup and check the time when I'm done.

I still have an hour.

My hair will barely be dry by then, whatever – can't do much about it now.

I haven't quite figured out what I'm going to wear, but I don't think we're going to go anywhere fancy. Harry doesn't seem like the fancy type, especially when it comes to his friends. I take my hair down before I leave the bathroom. My feet carry me to my dresser, and I open the drawer that holds my jeans. I take out my favorite pair of light-wash jeans and toss them on my bed. They're like a tighter pair of mom jeans so they hug my body really well. I always feel super confident whenever I wear them, and confidence is what I need.

I open the drawer that holds my t-shirts and pull out a dark, faded grey graphic tee I found at a thrift store. It is three sizes too big, but it's so comfortable I love it. The design on the front is so faded, I can't tell what it is, but it's just distressed enough to be able to notice there is something on it.

I put the outfit on, tucking the front of my shirt into the jeans and put on a belt. I check the time again and see that it's only been twenty minutes – should have guessed.

What to do for the next forty minutes...

I plug my phone in and go to the kitchen. When I open the fridge, I make a mental note to go to the grocery. I pull out a clementine and peel it as I close the door.

It feels like forever before I put my black, high-top Converse on to leave, but now that it's time my anxiety is at an all-time high.

I don't know why I'm so nervous. It's just Harry.

That's exactly why I'm so nervous.

I take my purse off the counter as I'm leaving my apartment and lock the door behind me once I'm outside. My feet carry me quickly down the stairs. I'm hoping I don't have to go into the bar because I don't really want Nicole seeing Harry and I together after I told her I didn't like him like that.