The Boy Who Lived

NOTE: These characters and the world they live in belong to J.K.  Rowling. I do not own any of them. Also, all the art belongs to other artists.

Year 1 (Draco)

Draco blinked and found himself staring into emerald eyes. He outstretched his hand and proclaimed
"I'm Malfoy. Draco Malfoy."
He actually couldn't believe he was face to face with Harry Potter...and he was almost disappointed. He was the baby that outwitted the most dangerous wizard of all time, after all. Draco has expected Harry to look more...extraordinary. Instead, he was short, skinny, pale, and nervous-looking. The only thing spectacular were his eyes- and his scar, of course. Draco hadn't realized he had been staring until he heard a snort coming from the boy beside him.

His anger flared.
"You think my name's funny?"
The scruffy boy looked away, a little embarrassed. It didn't take Draco long to realize who he was.
"No need to ask you yours. Red hair, and a hand-me-down robe. You must be a Weasley." He scoffed in disgust. His father was right. They were scum. He looked back at Harry, a little concerned.
"Don't worry. Stick with me and I'll make sure you become friends with the RIGHT people."

Harry thoughtfully considered him for a moment, before pushing his outstretched hand away.
"I think I can tell the right sort on my own, thanks."
Draco hissed and pulled his hand back, like he'd been burned. In all his life, Draco had NEVER been rejected. Something twisted in his stomach and his anger mounted. He scowled at each boy in turn, and hurried away.

Crabbe and Goyle were waiting for him with stupid expressions on their face.
"What happened?" Crabbe asked, hesitantly.
    "Nothing happened! Nothing bloody happened!" Draco snapped.
"But Harry...he turned you away?" Goyle asked, confused.
"Of course he bloody did! If he didn't, he'd be standing in YOUR spot!" Draco snarled. Goyle turned away, embarrassed and hurt.

Draco took a deep breath. "Why am I so mad? He doesn't know anything! He knows nothing! I'm better than him, anyways!" Draco thought. So why was he still furious? To his surprise and horror, he felt a lump in his throat, and a twist deep in his heart. Was he actually going to...CRY? "Certainly not!" Draco thought, furiously. "I do NOT cry. Especially over stuck up famous boys!" What was wrong with him? What had happened?

It took him all year to finally figure it out. Something had happened to him during his brief conversation with the boy who lived. Something he would never, ever admit to anyone. His heart had grown soft...and made room for Potter.