The Distraction

(Draco)

Draco was dreading going to Potions. Ever since Harry had kissed him, and then bolted, Draco had been crying. In those moments, when Harry held him close, Draco had let his guard down for him. And all it did was hurt him.

He had crumpled to his feet after Harry had left him, and sobbed until Pansy found on the floor in the Room of Requirement. She had wordlessly grabbed his arm, and pulled the shaking boy to his feet. She had brushed off his shirt and pants, then proceeded to pat down his hair; all the while not once talking. When she was done, she had gently wiped away his tears and walked him to Slytherin dormitory. She didn't even say anything when she left him, just pinched his arm warningly and walked away.

Draco had never been more grateful. He didn't want to imagine if someone else far nosier than her had found found him. The thought of explaining what had happened made Draco collapse onto his bed in defeat. He just sat there, crying, for the longest time. Sometime around the end of dinner, he sat up and wiped away his tears. He wasn't hungry, but soon people would start returning to their rooms, and he couldn't be seen crying.

While he sat there, rage filled his stomach. What had he been thinking? Why couldn't he have just walked away?! Why...why did Harry lead him on like that? His eyes landed on his emerald curtains, draped lazily over the side of his bed, and before he had known what he was doing, Draco had torn the curtains off his bed and ripped them to pieces as silent tears rolled down his face.

When the other boys entered the dormitory they all looked at Draco with suspicious concern, making Draco feel even more furious. He had stayed up late, that night, just staring at nothing, and feeling pain in his chest, all the while Crabbe and Goyle snored on. When morning came, Draco had gotten no sleep, and looked terrible. For once in his life, he couldn't find the energy to care.

Classes had been one long, boring blur, and it took all of Draco's strength not to fall asleep. Potions class was nearing, and all Draco wanted to do was cry. Instead, he slowly made his way down the hallway, careful to avoid making eye contact with anyone. He did, however, feel a piercing pair of eyes glare at him as he rounded a corner, and he looked up.

It was brief, but he found himself staring into Raven's hateful eyes. They seemed to glow a vibrant purple, and she trembled with barely-contained rage. He turned away from her slowly, feeling numb.

"She can kick me out of school, she can tell my father I'm gay, for all I care. I don't. I just wish this pain would go away..." Draco thought, as he finally reached Potions.

He hesitated, hand trembling as he reached for the doorknob. He wanted to hide, but he forced himself to look as intimidating as possible, and entered.

Professor Slughorn turned to him and sighed. "You are late, Malfoy," he stated, making Draco chuckle, humorlessly. "How observant of you, Professor," Draco said, marching past him and sliding into his seat with a sassy hip swish. He didn't even look at the boy next to him, who was currently inspecting his Potions book.

"Alright. So I hope you all studied well, because we are having a test today!" Slughorn announced, causing all the students, except for Hermione, to groan. "Don't tell you forgot," Slughorn said, his eyes crinkling with amusement, as he passed out papers.

Draco had forgotten, but he was grateful he didn't have to interact with Harry today. Normally if he hadn't studied for a test, Snape would've passed him regardless of how bad he did, but now, as Draco's eyes skimmed the paper, he was on his own.

He heard a quiet "ahem" from beside him, and he rolled his eyes. He passed Harry his paper without looking at him, as his heart broke a little more.

Draco knew he was going to fail this test, but he couldn't be more glad for a welcome distraction.