Why Would You Care?

(Harry)

Harry felt jumpy the entire rest of the week. During potions, Draco refused to look at Harry, causing Professor Slughorn to yell at them. It was so strange. Harry has gotten used to the constant barrage of insults, but now... now Draco avoided Harry like the plague.

"Harry!" Hermione's voice snapped Harry out of his trance. "Sorry. Yes, Hermione?" He asked his friend. They were sitting in the Gryffindor common room; Ginny nearly in Harry's lap, Neville and Luna awkwardly sitting next to them, Ron and Hermione on the other couch, and Dean and Seamus cuddling on the loveseat.

"I was asking if you had finished your essay for Potions. It's due tomorrow, and by the look on your face, I'd say you haven't." Hermione shook her head disapprovingly.
Ron hesitantly reached for her shoulder. "Oh give him a break, Hermione."

Hermione swatted his hand away and sniffed, "don't think you've been forgiven either, Ronald. Because you haven't."

Ron looked at Harry, bewildered. He mouthed, "what now?" And watched as Hermione grabbed her bag and headed for the Girl's Dormitory.

Harry sighed and pushed Ginny away from him a bit, causing her to frown up at him. "Harry? Are you alright?"

Her voice sounded sickeningly sweet to Harry, even though she looked genuinely concerned.

"I just... can you not?! I need space, Ginny!" Harry growled. Ginny looked shocked, then hurt.

"Of...of course Harry. I'm sorry, love."

Harry felt his throat constrict. Love. Such a simple, yet complex thing. With the power to break, and mend a heart. Harry suddenly leapt to his feet and rushed to the exit.

"Harry! Are you alright mate?" Ron asked. "Where are you going?!" Ginny demanded.

"I just need to think!" Harry yelled back to them. He pulled the portrait aside and climbed through, not before he heard Seamus say loudly "I bet he's gay". Hardy didn't stick around to find out Ginny's answer. Why couldn't people lay off him for one day?

He rushed down the hallways and finally ended up at the astronomy tower. The sky was a smoky blue, and a faint twinkle of stars shown through the gray clouds. A soft breeze blew Harry's hair out of his face as he walked around the tower. It was so peaceful up here.

Hardy abruptly came to a halt as he saw the figure in front of him. "Maybe I spoke too soon" Harry thought.

Draco turned to Harry as he tried to leave.

"...saint Potter. What are you doing up here?"
Instead of Draco's usual enthusiasm for being cruel, Harry only heard hurt.

"I... I came to get some air. I-I- I didn't realize you were up here- I'll just go." Harry turned on his heel to leave, and nearly choked when Draco grabbed the back of his collar to stop him.

"No...please don't go." He whispered, sounding so broken it made Harry turn around to stare.
Draco shifted, not looking at him. "Don't leave me here..." he said softly, before sinking to his knees and crying.

Harry stood there for a moment, unsure of what to do. Hesitantly, he bent down to him and wrapped his arms around the shaking boy. Draco sobbed into his shoulder, while Harry awkwardly patted him.

Finally, Draco pulled away and wiped his nose on his sleeve, much to Harry's disgust. Draco stared off towards the Forbidden Forest, his nose and eyes red from crying. Without looking at Harry he asked, "have you ever done something you wish you didn't have to do? Something so terrible that you can't escape?"

Harry studied his profile in the dying light. His blond hair gleamed gold, and his gray eyes seemed to be filled with liquid warmth. He had a small blush on his cheeks, and Harry could very clearly see the small freckles dotting his delicate nose. Harry pulled his eyes away from the boy and stared towards the forest as well. He let out a long sigh.

"...is this about becoming a death eater?" Harry asked, causing the Slytherin to jump.

"W-what? How... how do you know that?!" He demanded. Harry closed his eyes, gathering courage.
"I saw you...when you went to Borgin and Burkes. It didn't take much deduction to put it all together."

The boy beside him went silent, and Harry peeked out of the corner of his eye. Draco was staring at his arm, no doubt looking at the Dark Mark concealed under his sleeve.

"...what am I going to do, Harry?" Draco asked, his voice cracking, "I don't want to...I don't want to do anything, but I don't have a choice... he'll kill me."

Harry found himself taking Draco's hand.
"Listen Malfoy... I think you should tell Dumbledore."

Draco barked out a laugh, taking his hand away from Harry's, leaving him oddly sad.

"You really think that lunatic is going to understand me?"
Harry bristled defensively.

"He'll help you. And he's not a lunatic, he's brilliant."

Draco rolled his eyes, but Harry could see a smile poking through.

"What?" Harry asked, as Draco began shaking.

"That's why I love you, Harry. You always see the good in people, and hold out hope for them until the end..." he frowned, "well, unless it's me."

Harry bumped his arm against his, trying not to dwell on the "I love you" part. "Hey... you're not all bad, Malfoy. You are just in a terrible situation."

Draco sighed, pulling his legs up to his chest and resting his head on them.

"I'm so scared. I think when the time comes... I can't do what The Dark Lord is asking of me...which means he's going to kill me... that is, if that Mudblood, Raven, doesn't tell my father that I'm gay first. I'll surely die at his hands  if she does..."

Harry glanced at him, the atmosphere suddenly awkward.

"Your dad is... uh... homophobic?" Harry croaked, under Draco's dark glare.

"Well of course he is, you brainless git! He works for You Know Who, he's not going to be a proud dad if I come out! He'll disown me, then hunt me down and skin me, and present my carcass to the Dark Lord as a housewarming gift!" Draco blurted, frantically.

"I see you've given this a lot of thought," Harry murmured, amused.

Draco shot him a dirty look. "Of course I have. It's my impending doom. He's bound to find out at some point so... I'm prepared."

Harry glanced at him, confused. "What do you mean, you're "prepared?""

Draco shrugged, avoiding his eyes. "Why are you so nosy, Potter?" He asked instead, with no malice in his voice.

Harry grabbed his shoulders and turned him to look at him.
"Draco...promise me... If it gets hard you'll go to Dumbledore? Or even...me?"

Draco looked him in the eyes. "Why? Give me an honest answer, Potter. Why in Merlins Name would you care?"

Harry swallowed uncomfortably. He dropped his hands from Draco's shoulders and tried to think. Why did he care? Draco was his enemy! He should be rejoicing.

"I- I think..." Harry began.

"Harry! What are you doing up here with him?!" Ginny suddenly interrupted from the doorway where she stood. She was pink in the face, and her hands were clenched into fists. Though she was furious, all Harry saw in her eyes was betrayal.

Harry leapt to his feet. "Ginny! It's... it's not what you think!" Harry cried desperately, but Ginny just shook her head.

"Tell me... was Seamus right?"

Draco looked up at Harry curiously from the ground and said, "right about what, Potter?"

"Shut up! This doesn't concern you, Malfoy!" Ginny shrieked. Draco cowered behind Harry, who felt rage filling his stomach.

"Ginny! Don't ever talk to him like that again!"

Ginny looked at him, shocked.

"So it is then..." she muttered faintly, and turned on her heel and fled.

Harry growled in frustration. "No! Ginny, come back! It's not like that at all!"

And then he ran after her, without a backwards glance to the boy behind him.