The Favor

(Harry)

Harry felt like he was underwater. All the past events of the last 20 minutes swam around his head. The only thing he could hear was his heartbeat, pounding way too fast. The only this he could feel were hot tears in his eyes. A sudden voice snapped him out of it.

"Bloody hell Potter," Draco's tired voice said, "what are you doing here?"

Harry tried not to feel offended when Draco pushed him back and resumed his normal smirk. He really did try. But... it wasn't working.

"What do you mean "what am I doing here," Malfoy?! I bloody saved your life!"

Draco winced slightly. Harry sighed.
A long moment of silence passed over them, and then Harry cleared his throat and said awkwardly, "What caused your panic attack?"

"Nothing." Draco said sharply. After a moment he muttered, "why do you even care, Potter?"

Harry let out a frustrated growl. "I don't! I don't like you even a little bit, I can't stand to be around you!" He bit his lip and stared Draco right in the eye, "but I would NEVER want you dead."

Draco shifted and opened his mouth. Then he closed it. He awkwardly stood up and reached down a hand to help Harry up.

"But why did you... you know... uh... save me?" Draco asked, a little hurt when Harry ignored his hand.
Harry shook his head. "Raven had come running into the Great Hall, sobbing to Crabe and Goyle, then bolted to the girls dormitory. Crabe and Goyle wanted to make sure you were ok."

Draco rolled his eyes. "Really? Those brainless oafs had enough sense to find me?"

Harry grimaced. "Yep. And when they saw you passed out on the floor they ran back to get... me? I have no clue as to why. I was just finishing up eating and was leaving with Luna when they told me you weren't breathing."

Draco's nostrils flared. "Why didn't you tell a professor? If you hadn't saved me, I would've died!"

Harry's eyes narrowed. "Oh excuse me, I DID save you, so it doesn't matter."

"But if you hadn't? You're playing with my life!" Draco snarled.

Harry just glared at him. "Whatever you say, Malfoy. Your life is bloody worthless anyways."
Then he walked out of the Room of Requirement without a backwards glance.

After that, Harry was in a bad mood for the rest of the day. He grumbled curses under his breath whenever he saw Draco, and when potions arrived, Harry purposely ignored Draco. He even sabotaged their own potion, just to spite him. Draco stayed quiet the entire day.

"Ah... Potter?" He asked, grabbing Harry's wrist as Harry tried to leave. Harry rolled his eyes. "What is it, Malfoy?"

Draco looked down at his boots, then summoned his courage and said, "I... wanted to say thank you... Scarhead. For... you know."

Harry sighed. "You owe me, Malfoy. Can you do me a favor?"

Draco crinkled up his nose. "Ugh fine. Here's my rules; no prostitution, no manual labor-"

"Malfoy! Be quiet for a moment, would you?"

Both of the boys fell silent, which made Draco realize he was still gripping Harry's arm. He dropped it like a hot potato.

"I want you to leave us alone."

Draco's head whipped up. "Wot?"
Harry stared at him firmly. "I don't want you picking on my friends anymore. Actually, I don't want you to pick on anyone," Harry glanced at Draco's hands for a second, then met his eyes again. "It's easier than you think..." he said softly, "being nice. Just... try it for me, Malfoy?"

Draco nodded, his expression unreadable. Harry also nodded, and then walked out the door to find Ginny and tell her the good news.

...little did he know, Draco collapsed into tears that very instant.