Him and her

I headed down to the reception area after packing away all the clothes.

I had only been allowed to bring a small bag with me: two sets of spare clothes along with some toiletries and, against my stepmother's wishes, my favourite book, Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte.

It was my mums favourite book and my dad used to tell me I was like young Cathy because I loved to explore and yet he said I was kind and compassionate towards others. I don't particularly have very kind thoughts towards my stepfamily now, but who can blame me.

Any way I took my book out and began to read on one of the pretty white sofas by the window that looked out onto the sea.

I was engrossed in Catherine's declaration of her love for Heathcliff when I felt the eyes of someone on me. There across the room on one of the other sofas was the most handsome man I had ever seen.

His soft black hair hung about his face and his presence was commanding yet it somehow calmed me. He wore sunglasses so I couldn't see his eyes, but his smile seemed to say everything I needed to know. He seems strangely familiar, I just don't can't quite put my finger on why.

Suddenly someone came and sat next to me blocking him from my view.

"Hi, I saw you check in this morning. You are with the Clark family, right?"

I wanted to tell her that 'Clark' was actually my dad's name, my name and that my stepmother and stepsisters had only taken it when Cassandra married my dad. But for some reason I just couldn't, the words couldn't form in my mouth. So, I just nodded my head in response.

"Wow, they look like a handful!", she said laughing.

"Yer, you can say that again"

I didn't really feel like talking to anyone, but she seemed friendly, which is a refreshing change from what I am used to.

"I can't believe you actually want to work for them. They seem like a right trio of witches. Why don't you just quit?"

"If I had a choice, I wouldn't work for them". She looked puzzled so I said "they are my stepfamily"

The shock on her face quickly turned to sympathy.

"So, you mean that you are Lara Clark? Richard and Lilly's daughter?" I nodded. "And they treat you like that? Like a servant?

I paused. How do I say this without making it seem like I want her pity, when she cut my thoughts short and said, "I am sorry I am being nosy and you don't have to tell me anything it is none of my business."

"No, its ok, my stepmother took everything when my dad died and well, she kind of made it so that I could never leave" I mumbled. Why am I telling her this I don't even know her name?

"Oh my gosh, I forgot to say I am Alice, Alice Mitchell, I work at the reception desk and sometimes waiter in the dinning rooms" she glanced at the clock. "Well I gotta go now, my break is over, but it was really nice meeting you and if you need anything even if it's just a friend. I am here" she smiled and waved goodbye.

I decided that it would be best to go back up to the rooms before Cassandra, Julia and Melissia got back.

I glanced around the reception wondering if the man from before was still there.

There he was still sitting on the same sofa as before. I still couldn't see his eyes, but I could swear he was looking at me and into my eyes.

Hearing the sounds of my stepsisters voices I turned around and ran up the stairs as fast as I could making my way back to the rooms.

—————————————————————

Rowan's POV:

I was furious. No one with a brain would dare to go against me.
When I find the person responsible for the leak, I will make them wish they had never been born.

"I am sorry sir" whimpered Michael, the manger at one of my hotels "we will find the person responsible and they will be held accountable"

"This is not good enough it should never have happened. If you were incapable of stopping such things, then you are incapable of dealing with the consequences. I am on my way over there now and I will fix this!"

I have never had the time for stupid people, it seems as if I must do everything myself.

"Tell no one of my arrival. I want to be able to find the person responsible without the press or any of the guests finding out"

"Yes Sir. I mean of course sir"

By the time I arrived at the hotel I was beyond angry, but I kept my composure as I don't need attention drawing to me.

So, I placed sunglasses on and took off my suit jacket leaving my white shirt sleeves to rolled up to my elbows.

As I entered the reception, I checked in with the receptionist who gave me a puzzled look. Clearly, she knew my face but was unsure if I was truly her boss.

"Where the hell is the bell boy? Have him take my keys to my room" I ordered.

She tried being polite and said things like 'How has your day been?', but I wasn't in the mood for pleasantries.
I took my keys, which she handed to me and went to sit on one of the sofas by the window and attempted to answer some of my emails.

I looked up from my phone only to see the most beautiful girl I have ever seen.
She was perfect, her hair was slightly curled and framed her face beautifully. She looked so innocent and kind as a slight smile tugged at her lips as she read her book.

All I could think was how I wanted her to smile at me and how I would do almost anything to make that happen.

What is wrong with me? I am being so irrational, but I can't seem to help it.

The beauty must have felt my stare because she looked up from her book and saw that I was looking at her.

We simply stared at each other for a long time. I couldn't help but smile and just like that all my anger from earlier had gone.

Suddenly, her face was obscured from my view as the receptionist who I saw earlier sat down next to her blocking her beautiful face from where I was sitting.

I felt the anger rising again, that someone
had dared interrupt us and whatever that was.

From what I could tell they seemed like they were becoming friends or already were, I was not sure.

As the receptionist moved back to her desk, the girl shut her book and started to head up the stairs.

She turned around only for a moment as her eyes found me again. She seemed shy as she quickly whipped her head around and ran back up the stairs.

I chuckled and texted Donavan that I had a job for him, to find out who she was.