Cassandra

The heat of the sun was fading and suddenly I had become aware of the time.

"Oh my gosh what time is it?"

"About half five" Rowan answered still partially in a daze.

"I have to go. They'll be wondering where I am" I said beginning to wade through the water back to the shore.

"My stepmother's going to kill me. I have been gone since eleven this morning"

"What why do you have to go?"

I didn't turn round to look back at him I know he would only make me stay.

"I am sorry. I really enjoyed today" I said waving to him as I sprinted back up the beach and ran towards the toilets, praying there was a dryer to at least dry my clothes a little.

I didn't even get to the reception area when I heard a booming voice shout my name from behind
"And just where do you think your going" shouted my stepmother, her face ablaze with anger.

I didn't say anything. Whatever words came out my mouth would only worsen an already terrible situation.

"Come with me. I think you and I need to have a little talk, don't you?" she grabbed my wrist dragging me up the stairs and towards the room.

Cassandra unlocked the door and threw me inside and I fell forwards into the coffee table knocking off the vase and the flowers in them. It fell to the floor smashing all over the rug.

"I don't know who you think you are, but we have been by pool all day thinking you were going to get our drinks. When the bartender came along, I knew there was something fishy going on. So, I went in search of you after lunch. You can imagine my surprise when I found you playing in the sea like a toddler with Rowan Dawson of all people"

I was panicking, she knew, she knew who I was with and where I had been. She had forbidden relationships of any king even friendships.

"I feel sorry for you, do you think he loves you? Enjoyed your company? Don't make me laugh, you're a little slut just like your mother."

"You don't know anything about my mother" I gritted through my teeth.

That's when I felt her slap me again, only this time was harder than she had ever done before.

"Foolish girl, and poor man having to put up with you. Heaven knows why, probably took pity on you"

I couldn't help the trickle of tears that escaped from my eyes. She was voicing my every doubt about me and Rowan.

Once again, she grabbed me by my wrist and dragged me out the room and towards the managers desk in a room just off the landing.

"Don't make a fuss" she whispered coldly into my ear.

Cassandra knocked on the door and a small reply was heard from inside becoming us in.

"Mr Collins, how good to see you again. This is the girl I was telling you about" pushing me forward "I hope our deal is still acceptable to you"

"It is indeed madam I will take her down to be put in to uniforms now"

Before I knew it I was wearing the maids outfit and was being instructed on how to set the tables for dinner.