A good day for breakups

As the days went on, Evie found herself more and more living for her time with Roxy. Suddenly bored by the incessant chatter of superficial gossip from her inner circle, or the preening chivalry of her boyfriend, Evie felt less and less present at school.

She focused on her school work instead, if only to get Roxy Adams out of her head. My grades are improving. She mused to herself, seated in homeroom on a Thursday afternoon. I even got a B in a French presentation.

"Okay, spill." A voice next to Evie said and she jumped. At some point May had dropped into the seat next to Evie and was staring at her intently. Evie resisted the urge to squirm.

"Hmm?"

"You have not been yourself lately. The ice-bitch mask is still there, it's always there, but the Evie underneath is gone. Either you're in love, which is impossible since you seem to barely tolerate that hunky man of yours and haven't told us of another dude, or you're on pot." May stated blandly, as if that were the only two possible reasons that a woman would keep to herself. Maybe for the first time ever, I am myself.

"Neither," Evie said with a laugh, enjoying how truthful that response was. It's refreshing, after weeks and weeks of lying, to be honest. "It's just family shit. I have to pick up my grades to get into a college, or end up stuck with my mom for another year. And Dylan... we're okay. I'm just not a romantic like you."

Evie paused, unsure of what was truth or lie in such a complex statement. May just looked at Evie, expression unreadable. Then she nodded, got up, grabbed her bag and walked out.

A month ago, Evie would have been really hurt by that. Would have run after her friend to see if she was okay, begged for forgiveness, cleared her afternoon for a remedial shopping trip. But something made Evie stay in her chair and turn back to her Pre Calc questions.

Later that afternoon, Evie watched as Roxy parked her car by the bottle shop and hopped out. That had become their usual hangout, sitting on the roof of the bottle shop. That, or the 70s diner, or the abandoned park by Shepard Highway.

Evie smiled, watching the beautiful Roxy Adams saunter across the car park, hands in the back pockets of her ripped denim shorts, hips swinging. Roxy hoisted herself up a moment later and lounged out on the roof. Today she wore a black bralette underneath a knotted floral shirt, testament to the warming weather.

"Hey E," she said, voice husky and deep. After all this time Evie could still not get used to that sultry voice, or the angel before her.

"Hey Rox," she responded, lying down to face her. The silence was broken only by a crow cawing in the background.

"I think I'm starting to change," Evie said, the statement tentative but revealing her excitement. Roxy grinned.

"Course you are. You're becoming confident in who you are, caring less about what others think. And you're friends with me, so, it's a given." Roxy lifted a hand to her chin and posed. Evie laughed and swatted her friend on the shoulder playfully. But she's right. It is because of her. She's setting me free.

"Hey, um... I wanted to talk to you about something," Evie said hesitantly, twirling a strand of hair around her fingers. Come on, get it together Evie. Do you want her or not? "Do you think... you and I... would ever be-"

The clang of boots on steel cut Evie off. Evie lifted herself up on one arm and looked over Roxy's shoulder, who was still staring at her. As if waiting to see what she was gonna say.

"Hey sugar." An unfamiliar voice called out, followed by a head of auburn curls. Pretty heart shaped face, with clear blue eyes and a smattering of freckles across a perky nose. The head was followed by a petite body, with a small waist and sizeable assets. The dreaded girlfriend.