Time to be Romeo

The mall was surprisingly busy for a Monday afternoon. Evie looked at her friends, who sat at a cafeteria table and watched her. Evie tapped her foot in nervous anticipation.

"Can't you tell us why we're sitting here like awkward tweens?" Stella asked and May rolled her eyes.

"Patience." Evie teased, scanning the shopping centre. She said she'd be here. A familiar face appeared, as if summoned. 

"There's someone I want you to meet. Guys, this is Roxy." She said as Roxy walked over and stood by her side. They exchanged smiles. Roxy held up a hand of greeting to Evie's friends, of whom Stella and Isabell still looked confused.

"Hey, nice to meet you, Evie's other friend that we have never heard about?" Isabell said in way of greeting, but she directed her statement to Evie.

"Actually," Evie corrected, linking hands with Roxy. Three mouths gawked. "My girlfriend, Roxy Adams."

"No way." Isabell breathed, looking backwards and forwards between them like a tennis match. "Cool."

"Your mother is gonna kill you," Stella laughed and held up her hands, shaking her head like she could already see the funeral. May just nodded, to which Roxy nodded back.

Roxy pulled up a seat at the table and flipped it, sitting down with the back of the chair in front of her.

"I've heard a lot about you guys." Roxy said, earning smiles all around.

"All good things I hope?" Stella asked, glancing between Evie and Roxy with narrowed eyes.

"Absolutely." Roxy drawled, sending her a wink, earning laughter from everyone. Even May, as if she couldn't help but like the badass woman before her.

"So where do you go to school Roxy?" Isabell asked pleasantly, followed by Mae asking about how they met.

"Kleppers Senior. But I'm dropping out next month to start a mechanical apprenticeship. And Evie and I met at the football game on Valentines Day." Roxy leaned back. Evie admired the ease with which she answered their interrogations.

Three sets of eyes locked on to Evie and three pairs of mouths exploded at once:

"Valentine's Day?! That's what happened when you went to the bathroom?"

"How did you not tell us about her? This has been going on for this long?"

"You were still with Dylan! We asked you if you'd gotten any action and you blew us off!"

Evie threw up both hands in defence. "Woah, woah. Slow down." They fell silent. Evie breathed in deep. "I tried to find the bathroom, but got lost and bumped into Roxy instead. You asked me if I'd gotten lucky, which I hadn't, so I didn't lie. And after the game, Roxy dropped me home when Dylan was galavanting around town with that red headed cheerleader."

Nods of understanding, a couple murmurs of acceptance. Evie caught Roxy watching her out of the corner of her eye and they shared a secret smile.

"Wait a minute." Stella said suddenly, learning forward and placing both hands on the table, making it wobble. "So last Christmas, when we were talking about celebrities we'd totally shag, and you said 'Kristen Stewart' before correcting yourself and saying 'Christian Bale,' you actually meant Kristen Stewart."

A guilty look flashed across Evie's face, and Isabell looked at Stella, her mouth in a huge, exaggerated 'OH' shape.

"And then," Stella continued on, counting on her fingers, "when you said Tiffany Wells looked hot in that bathing suit, you meant tap-that hot, not stating-it-enviously-wishing-that-was-my-ass hot, right."