Four

How do you gain a person's approval so they may deem you worthy of their friendliness? Especially if this person has already taken a disliking to you at first glance?

While it certainly isn't impossible that anyone can be redeemed in some way or another, some others are just stubborn and need a little push or an event to bring out their softer side.

Astrid's solution would be hard to find, but that doesn't mean it couldn't ever be found. Maybe perhaps it could be found sooner than you would think?

The moment Astrid and (Y/n) stepped into the middle field, their eyes met and each individual had a different intent visible in their eyes.

Astrid's was challenging, seemingly coaxing (Y/n) to show her what she was capable of. Though her look appeared to be a glare, there was no murderous intent whatsoever.

A great silence took over, highly confusing the standbys for they were used to the constant chatter. That was until Hiccup had announced the close combat practice had begun.

Astrid was the first to make a move, she was immediately on the offense. She charged at (Y/n) with all she was worth, letting out one of her most famous battle cries, but alas, she couldn't even land any contact with the (h/c) hair colored girl.

It certainly looked like it hurt. The moment Astrid smashed against the wall, getting her ax stuck, she felt her cool break. If she didn't already want to kill (Y/n) before, she definitely did now.

Astrid snaps her head at (Y/n), clenching her teeth tightly as she looked at (Y/n)'s unfazed features with despise. (Y/n) simply walked towards her, twirling the little dagger she had in hand that she had surprisingly chosen over a reliable ax.

"Fighting isn't all about brute force," (Y/n) sighs, "You can't just run at me with a battle cry and expect to win." She approached the blonde girl calmly before patting her head.

"Woah, and here I thought Astrid could easily defeat new girl here." Ruffnut says, her mouth dropped from the surprise they had been given.

Astrid glared at her and successfully pulled out her axe, however, she didn't straight up attack her anymore. She stood still, and took deep breaths.

The blonde was caught off guard by the other girl's bold attacks, but even if it did irritate her, she felt a new sense of excitement. Usually she was the strongest in close combat, so beating the others was a piece of cake... But (Y/n)... She was a new obstacle.

"I like you already." Astrid chuckled, giving a challenging smile, "Don't hold back on me, got it?" Her eyes was suddenly glowing with excitement. She found a worthy opponent, one that she'd feel satisfaction on defeating.

(Y/n) laughed and returned the look, "Never planned to." And so, the two girl engaged in an intense fight.

They both had different fighting tactics, but both were just equally as effective. Astrid fought with brute force and intimidation,(Y/n) fought with stealth. Though both were quite powerful, they had a big flaw which allowed the other to counter them. Astrid was too slow and (Y/n) would be able to dodge quickly, (Y/n) however couldn't seem to land a hit painful enough to cripple Astrid.

Hiccup stood in the sidelines, watching both girls with great interest. He admired them for their skills in fighting for he had neither of the traits they possessed.

Fishlegs found himself oddly excited over the battle, (Y/n) and Astrid had to use different tactics towards one another for they were equally as knowledgeable when it came to fighting. They analyzed one another and don't just go charging forth.

Astrid swung her axe at (Y/n), for once catching her a little off guard, but the girl still managed to narrowly escape. (Y/n) smirked, her heart beating fast as she felt some sweat trickle down her forehead.

"I bet you someone's actually going to die today." Tuffnut whispers to his twin sister, he, Ruffnut, and Snotlout had engaged into a gambling game. They decided this was a fun opportunity to earn some money.

Hiccup, however, was silent and frozen in place, at first he thought he was just watching the fight, but then he realized he was only watching (Y/n). He noticed how her hair flowed along with her movements and how each and every move she made was somehow graceful.

A graceful fighter. Who knew?

'She fights like she's dancing to the moonlight.' Hiccup thought to himself, his eyes following her every move, 'Not to mention she's always acted so calm and graceful ever since we've met her.'

The fight came to a stop when said girl was stripped of her own weapon, Astrid was able to make (Y/n) drop her dagger. The poor girl accidentally loosened her grip on her weapon and stumbled to the ground.

"I win." Astrid says with a victorious smirk, holding the axe close to her neck, "You're not bad, new girl."

(Y/n) simply chuckled and sat up, "It's (Y/n). And thank you for thinking I'm a worthy opponent." She smiled and stood up, "You're a very strong fighter, and for that I admire you."

The practice match concluded, but the vibe told Hiccup that it wasn't over. This fight only ended because of a small oopsie (Y/n) had made, not to mention they we're grinning and laughing the whole time, indicating they were also playing around.

"Hey Hiccup," Hiccup snapped out of his train of though and turned to Fishlegs. The boy had a parchment and pen out, eagerly writing down notes, "who is (Y/n)? Her agility is extraordinary."

Hiccup smiled and shrugged, "We never know. But she seems to be an overall good person. If Toothless trusts her, so will I." He says before turning back.

Astrid and (Y/n) were editing the middle field, talking like they were old friends. It seems as if Astrid had changed her mind about (Y/n).

"But I still don't know you," Hiccup mumbles to himself, "who are you really, (Y/n)?"