Eight

"It's okay sweetheart... I'm not mad... just... disappointed." (Y/n) kept her eyes trained on the ground as the mother who'd been tolerating her for all these years, hoping that she'd changed, encircled her. "I've been trying to understand why you're so stuck on the belief that dragons wouldn't even lay a finger on you. We're dragon slayers for a reason, (Y/n)... we're not just heartless monsters who kill because of our assumptions."

(Y/n) bit her lip as a million thoughts ran through her brain. After Toothless had saved her from nearly falling to her death, she had been trying for years she had been trying to prove dragons weren't as bad as her family made them out to be.

Her family was tolerable, they didn't go down too hard on her like everyone did to Hiccup. They gently ignored all her pleads for belief, trying their best to turn around this mentality of hers that had formed over a simple accident... after all, she was to be their future heir since her brothers had other plans.

"You just don't understand, mom..." (Y/n) furrowed her eyebrows, "Just because you haven't seen enough proof to prove that dragons aren't harmless doesn't mean you beliefs are still true." She clenched her fists as she felt her walls clamping up. The same feeling of captivity she felt whenever she was being confronted for the very matter.

(Y/n)'s mother softer as she stopped pacing, stopping in front of her daughter and placing both hands on her shoulder. "I know you've always been a stubborn girl... somehow a part of me wants to believe you." Her mother sighs, "But I had to remind myself not to believe anything so quickly without being shown viable proof... so... why did you run away?"

(Y/n) slowly looked up at her and took a deep breath, she was never the best at confrontations. "Because I'm weak." She simply replies, "I'm weak and I've had enough. I wanted to run away from my problems even if it meant lying to everyone that stood in my way."

(Y/n)'s mom smiled at her softly and gave her a gentle hug, caressing her daughter's hair as she began explaining.

"That doesn't exactly mean you're weak... I actually believe it means you're strong. You refuse to just give in to others and stand by what you believe in... Even if it meant losing everything you already have." Her mother says.

(Y/n)'s eyes widened when she processed this information. Her mother had always been the best at convincing... that's how she convinced their dad from being an absolute dragon killing maniac to one that only kills when necessary anyways.

But (Y/n) knew that there was more to it. A dragon wasn't just some wild animal who should just be killed if they didn't cooperate immediately. They were like humans, they had feelings... they had their own past traumas and reasons for why they acted that way.

That was where (Y/n) wanted to step in. She wanted to build over what her mom had started and completely transform their clan. Her mother wasn't exactly supportive of her beliefs and seemed fine with how things already were currently... but she wasn't exactly as discouraging either.

(Y/n) pulled away and looked her mother dead in the eye, "So... I just have to keep doing what I already had been doing...? Prove my belief?" She asks, a newfound hope glowing deep inside her. She knew that deep inside, all the things she'd done has already happened and couldn't be reversed... but she had to stay focused on the goal she had in front of her.

"It won't be easy since you know how your father is... but yes. All you have to do is keep fighting."

__________

Hiccup was insanely confused. Despite being one of the only vikings who actually thought things through on Berk, he couldn't quite process everything that had happened so far. Their only goal was solely to get back the dragons, but fate apparently had way different plans for them.

Once they had arrived on the island (Y/n) had inevitably lead their dragons too, they promptly collected all the dragons and were quite glad they didn't have to go through such lengths to do so. Of course, Stoick and Gobber were a little disappointed since they actually wanted to go on a full on mission, they were also glad they were given the opportunity to rest.

Now here's the confusing part. Hiccup noticed two things that could possible be linked to one another. One, all the dragons but Toothless were present on the island. Two, there was a familiar man... a man that Hiccup recalled having been badly injured by that one time on Dragon Island. The only difference was that he wasn't attacking him at all and even calmly asked if he would come with him.

Of course, Hiccup refused, but the man seemed different from the other day. He looked desperate, especially after he added the fact that he was doing this for his sister. He vaguely explained that (Y/n) had her own reasons and figured they would be plenty of help after everything she'd told him.

He wasn't at all that shocked that they were the infamous dragon tamers being told around through the seas... He did though visibly doubted the harmlessness of dragons.

So now they were here, heading for (Y/n)'s apparent home on a pretty interesting boat belonging to the (L/n) clan. Given that they did snuck off from the adults and could possibly be killed in the process, the gang lived recklessly and this was definitely no biggie.

"So... Are we actually going to find more about (Y/n)?" Fishlegs asks as he rocked back and forth in his seat. He looked a bit agitated since he was basically forced into this dangerous decision (he always was), but at the same time a little interested.

Hiccup gave him a mere nod and went back to thinking. They'd discovered more information about (Y/n) no matter how much she probably tried avoiding this from happening. Hiccup wondered if they'd be able to get out of this alive with the information they wanted.

They probably will be getting out of it alive...but with some life changing changes nobody would see coming.