Five

"What did you say the other day about not having a single ounce of trust for the new girl?" Astrid wanted so badly to just shut up the obnoxious twins through violent matters, they really just wouldn't stop bugging her about her change of heart.

Ever since that fateful day when Astrid had discovered that the new girl was on par with her when it came to close combat, well, you could say she had gotten a little fluffy. She was way friendlier to her than usual, and everyone noticed that.

She would call the girl over during meal times to sit with them at their usual table. If she refused, she simply sat at her table instead. Meanwhile, after she found out (Y/n) was basically homeless and slept outside with the comfort of Toothless (to Hiccup's dismay), she even offered to have her parents basically adopt her. Of course, (Y/n) refused, but it's the fact that she even offered that counts.

"I seriously didn't know Astrid was this easy to get." Snotlout sighed, staring at his cup of water in deep thought.

"Oh shut up," Astrid scoffs, "it's only natural I get excited over someone who actually has a chance of beating me. All of you are a bunch of weaklings who lacks brains and muscle."

"Ah, that's right," Fishlegs eyes lit up, "based on Hiccup and I's observations whenever Astrid and (Y/n) practice close combat, (Y/n) seems to possess both strength and the wits; though her wits overpower her strength more most of the time."

"What's with all this (Y/n) talk?" Ruffnut yawns, visibly a little annoyed by all the attention the female was getting despite not even being present, "Isn't this considered gossip since she's not even here?"

"It's not gossip if we're not even talking crap about her." Snotlout snorts, "Anyways, where even is Hiccup and (Y/n)? They keep disappearing together lately."

"Yeah, I noticed." Astrid sighed, nodding her head as she crossed her arms, "Both of them do have an unexplainable fascination in dragons, they're probably just geeking out about said creatures."

"With all this alone time Hiccup is getting with her, he's bound to be learning more things about her." Fishlegs states. Everyone nodded in agreement.

_________

Wrong. Despite basically hanging out with her at least one time a day, (Y/n) was pretty good at detecting his attempts to pry at her identity. What's worse was she denied to give out information in the most polite way possible.

Hiccup was growing frustrated every moment. He hated how his curiosity was tugging at him constantly and affecting his daily life. Not to mention the jealousy he often felt when (Y/n) and Toothless were together. They seemed to be more carefree around each other, he felt left out.

Hiccup watched as (Y/n) perfectly blended in with her surroundings, using the telescope Hiccup had given her to spy on the dragons they were currently examining.

He didn't even take notice of the dragon they were investigating, he was more interested in the way (Y/n) moved. For some reason, no matter what she did, it really did seem like she was dancing gracefully. So fragile and vulnerable... well... until she lands a hit on you.

"Hey Hiccup, do you recognize these dragons as a discovered species already? Judging by how they act, they could be mistaken as some lizard." Her voice snaps him out of his train of thought.

The girl was fascinated with the dragons. He was fascinated with her.

"Oh, I believe not." Hiccup answers absentmindedly, he gets up from his spot, immediately scaring away the dragons they were currently investigating.

"Eh? Why did you scare them away?" (Y/n) questions in confusion, getting to her feet as well as she returned the telescope in her pocket.

Hiccup felt his heart quicken. He couldn't possibly tell her he'd accidentally gotten to his feet due to his curiosity for the way he acted. He really had no idea why the girl piqued his interest so much. No one did.

Hiccup felt a chill run down his spine as he felt another presence nearby. It was perfect timing since he could use this as an excuse. Or was it really a good thing?

"I sense we're not alone," Hiccup says, looking around at their surroundings as he tried to pinpoint anything unusual.

(Y/n) didn't question it since she felt some aggressiveness directed towards her, and it definitely wasn't from Hiccup.

"Once a rat, always a rat." A large, muscly man came into view. He had long (h/c) hair and the same glistening (e/c) eyes. An identical man came up from behind him as they both glared at the same girl.

(Y/n) gulped as she nearly melted in fear, "...Nice seeing you again, big brother a."

__________

"I'm sorry, Hiccup..." (Y/n) mutters, adjusting the wounded boy in her arms as the rode on Toothless who flew with speed despite the darkness. After the surprising ambush they'd just encountered, (Y/n) and Toothless knew that getting Hiccup back to safety was their priority.

Never mind what they came to Dragon Island for, none of this was a part of the plan. The three simply wanted to investigate some dragons and gather more intel, when they came across some of (Y/n)'s old folks. They expected a warm welcome, but it seemed they were more aggressive than expected.

"What was that, (Y/n)?" Hiccup manages to cough out, clutching his injured arm. Boy, was he lucky he didn't have to lose his other foot and narrowly dodged a broken arm. Losing an arm would've been quite a pain.

(Y/n) avoids his gaze, biting her lip as she struggled to suppress her words. She wanted so badly to just be honest with him, but her experience with trust held her back. She kept silence.

"Don't I deserve an explanation, (Y/n)? After all, I did just take on your two brothers head-on and nearly died while being left in the dark." He didn't mean it, but it came out in a rather cold matter. Hiccup wanted to just leave it at that and hopefully the guilt would sink into her heart, but he couldn't help it.

"I'm sorry." He immediately blurts out, attempting to sit up despite his cuts and injuries.

(Y/n) furrowed her eyebrows and pushed him back gently. "No, go rest. You deserve it. I really am I horrible person, I know." Toothless seemed to have sensed her diss herself and whimpered.

"But I deserve it. I am a traitor after all."