27

𝘚𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘦𝘺 𝘥𝘰𝘷𝘦𝘺 𝘴𝘵𝘶𝘧𝘧 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘺𝘢𝘭𝘭

***

My eyes fluttered open sporadically during the long car ride back but they ultimately stayed closed. They felt too heavy to even try and keep open for the whole three-hour ride back, yet my consciousness slowly faded in and out the whole time. Honestly, it was more exhausting.

Why is it so hard to fall asleep in a car now?

Was it the occasional bump we passed over causing my head to lift up slightly and then bump against the glass of the window? Was it the constant ache of my head due to the concussion? Or was it the fact that I had been in the same blood-stained clothes for more than three days straight?

Gabriel stopped the car and I reluctantly opened my eyes. The large beige and white building was not Gabriel's house. Honestly, it might have been, but the dozens of cars parked around us made me believe otherwise.

I assumed Gabriel was just stopping to get something and I doubt he would take me in with him so I shut my eyes and snuggled up to the car door. It must have been the stillness and quiet that I needed to fall asleep because after I closed my eyes that last final time I was out like a light.

I woke up again to a familiar incessant beeping. I forced my crusted eyes open to try and shut it off, whatever it was.

The bright white light hit my face and I had to squint my eyes for a while to adjust. I sat up slowly and used one hand to guide my head. It felt numb and heavy. I took my hand away and propped myself up more.

I was in a hospital room.

An IV was stuck in my arm and I couldn't even feel the pain in my leg. It actually felt really good.

One thing I did notice though was that I was still in my old clothes. The only thing different was that my left pant leg had been cut off, probably to get to my wound. And I could smell my own body odor. I smelled terrible, truly terrible.

I looked around the room and noticed a hospital gown folded up neatly at the end of the bed. After I saw it I knew exactly what I needed to do. I pulled the IV out of my and unhooked myself from the monitor. Yet that only caused the beeping to get worse.