Chapter 2: Nightmare

Sasuke groaned as he opened his eyes. All he could see was white and all he could hear was the sound of beeping echoing in his ears. He blinked slowly, wondering where he was. His attention was drawn away by the sound of the door crashing open. He blinked in surprise before trying to sit up.

“Itachi!” he exclaimed, staring happily at his brother. The teen rushed to his side and hugged his brother tightly. Sasuke clung to him with all his strength. The taller male returned the hug, slowly moving down to the same level as his brother. "Sasuke...are you okay?" He asked into the boy’s shoulder.

The younger boy curled up closer to his brother, then began to shake as he recalled what had happened before he passed out. He began to cry in his brother’s arms, shaking his head in response to his brother’s question. He opened his mouth to speak, but ended up sobbing uncontrollably, wailing into his brother’s chest.

Itachi rocked on his heels, whispering condolences into Sasuke’s ear.  He ran his fingers through his dark hair, his face like stone, hiding his own emotions from the child.  He sat down next to him.  “I’m sorry….I’m sorry Sasuke…” he whispered, looking down.

The little child simply held on to his brother tighter, harsh cries wracking his body. He was scared and heartbroken, his young mind unable to comprehend how to live in a world without his parents. But before long, his wails were reduced to mere whimpers and hiccups, the boy emotionally drained from his outburst. He looked up at his brother, eyes red and still wet with tears,

“Brother, why? W-Why w-would s-someone… why would they kill M-Mom and D-Dad? Th-They didn’t do anything wr-wr-wrooong.” he gasped out before bursting into a whole new wave of hysterics.

The older Uchiha brother shook his head.  “I don’t know Sasuke...But I promise I’m here for you now.  I won’t leave…”  He touched his fingers to Sasuke’s forehead and letting a sad smile form on his face for a split second before disappearing.

The gesture helped to stem his tears a bit. He gave his brother a watery smile in return before a wave of exhaustion hit him. He fell back on the covers and blinked dazedly. He reached up and entangled his fingers with the older male’s. “Please, don’t leave me, brother. I don’t want you to disappear while I’m asleep.” he said with a yawn. He then scooted over to make room for the elder Uchiha. He looked at the teen with an innocent and tired expression.“Take a nap with me.” he asked pleadingly, hoping the older male would indulge him

Just as Sasuke had wanted, Itachi laid down next to him, hugging him for a moment before letting him go.  “I won’t leave…”  I have no reason to now… He thought, letting the younger boy fall asleep next to him as he brooded.