Epilogue: The Pain of Passing Years

Sasuke sighed as opened his eyes, recalling himself to the present. He stared blankly in front of him for several moments, his mind still somewhat stuck in the reminiscence of the past. It had been ten years since Itachi’s death. Sasuke was still living in their apartment, not even considering leaving despite the pleas to do so from his friends. He couldn’t bring himself to move on. He had loved Itachi for most of his life, and the fact that the man he loved had died to protect him only strengthened Sasuke’s feelings

The 29-year-old looked down at his brother’s grave, a solemn expression on his face. “You have no idea how hard it is to live without you. There isn’t a day that goes by without a wish to have been able to die with you that night. It hurts, so much more than I could ever think to say.” he said, staring intently at the headstone before him. Reading over the name engraved there brought him to his knees. A wave of emotional agony swept over him, eliciting hot tears from the man.

“Damn it! Why did you have to leave? Why? Just when we so happy...just when we were going to live the rest of our lives together...I don’t want this anymore...I don’t want to live without you anymore...Itachi…” he sobbed, collapsing on top of the brunet’s grave.

Suddenly, the heavens burst open, rain drowning the world. Sasuke was drenched in moments. He didn’t move though, too swept up in his agony to concern himself with the rain. He was frozen in desolation and broken from loneliness. He lay there on the ground as tears and dirt ran down his face, lifeless eyes staring emptily before they fell shut.

I’ll stay here with you forever, Itachi.