Chapter 5: New Life

Chapter 5: New Life

Sasuke woke up slowly, lazily blinking his eyes as he adjusted to being conscious again. He sat up and stretched before getting up to get something to eat. He went into the kitchen, finding some rice balls in the fridge. He grabbed them and a can of tea, then proceeded to the living room.

He sat on the couch, placing his food on the table in front of him .He grabbed the remote and turned the T.V. on. It was on the local news. He picked up a rice ball, eating it as he watched the current events with mild interest. He managed to get through half of it before he saw something that made him freeze, the hand food slipping between the suddenly numb fingers.

He stared at the scene on the screen. He jumped up and sprinted out of the room. A minute later, he threw open Itachi’s door and ran over to the man, shaking his shoulder frantically. “Itachi! Itachi! Wake up! You have to come see the news!” he exclaimed, trying to get his brother’s attention.

The older make groaned, turning onto his side to face Sasuke. "Eh...? What are you talking about Sasuke...?" He asked groggily. He sat up, rubbing his eyes. The younger male simply grabbed his arm and practically dragged his sibling into the living room. He grabbed the remote and changed the channel. The story was being repeated on another news station. He turned the volume up so the two could hear.

This morning, two bodies were discovered in the smoking remains of a house here in Konoha. The victims were identified as Higuchi and Kaori Orochi. Apparently, the house caught fire late last night from a candle left near the curtains and ended up tipping over. Their son, however, was not caught in the ensuing inferno as he had been staying the night at a friend’s house.

Sasuke looked as his brother, a somewhat unreadable expression on his face. “They’re dead... They’re gone.” he said, sitting on the couch and staring blankly at the screen. Itachi had the same expression on his face.

"Yeah...they are..." He tugged his sleeve down, covering a small burn and some dirt still on his skin before commenting. "I guess you get to stay with me. I’m over 18, so I can be your legal guardian now." He poked Sasuke's head. "Let’s eat and then we'll deal with this later. I’m sure someone will find us eventually to do the same thing.”

The younger male nodded. He shook off the mixed feelings he had. I shouldn’t focus on this. I need to just enjoy the fact that I can stay with Itachi now. The thought made the young Uchiha slightly giddy.

The feeling had him standing up and moving to his brother. He smiled at the male before leaning up to give him a chaste kiss on the lips. He pulled away, grinning mischievously before heading back to his earlier breakfast.

Itachi followed him to the kitchen, starting a pot of coffee. He moved to the sink, washing the dirt off of his hands and covering the burn before Sasuke could question him.  “Hey...We need to talk…” He poured the dark liquid into a mug, sitting down across from the younger male.  He struggled to get any more words out after that, wrestling with his own mind for a moment before asking, “Do you have feelings for me…?”

The younger teen blushed hard, hesitating before opening his mouth to answer the question.

~Time Skip~

Sasuke laughed, extremely happy. He looked across the table, smiling indulgently at the man across from him. It was his nineteenth birthday. It had been 5 years since the death of his adoptive parents and he couldn’t have been more content. Itachi had surprised him that morning by bringing him breakfast in bed. Following that, he had showered the younger male with his attention all morning, keeping a perpetual blush on the raven’s face with the tender words the older Uchiha had whispered in his ears.

He reached out as a sudden sense of deep gratitude filled him. He grabbed one of the other man’s hands as he sent the male a sweet smile. He brought the limb to his side, leaning down to press a tender kiss on Itachi’s knuckles. He looked up at the other male with a strong expression of love.

“Itachi. I don’t think I can thank you enough for everything you’ve done for me. There isn’t anyone in this world that I love and adore more than you. Thank you.” he said, kissing the knuckles once more.

The older male refused to let Sasuke say that without a ‘Thank you’. He bent down farther and kissed him on the lips, tongue sliding against its partner without hesitation. He pulled away a few moments later and smiled. “I love you…” He kissed Sasuke on the forehead and straightened. “I’m off to work now...I’m sorry I can’t be with you...it’s been busy at headquarters… Take care of yourself…”

Itachi left the room without another word, and walked out the door, leaving Sasuke alone for the remainder of the work day.

When he arrived at the office, everyone was bustling around, scrambling to get information on a loose criminal. The Uchiha started walking faster heading towards his boss’s office in the corner and slammed the door open, the frame shuddering from the force.

“What the hell’s going on?” he demanded, shutting the door just as forcefully.“We have a criminal on the loose again...But I didn’t want to bother you.” Itachi fumed for a split second before pointing a finger at the man.

“I’m your best officer...It’s my job to catch criminals and put them before justice.” He paused for emphasis. “Don’t say you ‘don’t want to bother me’. I signed up for this…” He stormed out of the room without another glance, beginning to stop people in the halls and gathering information. “Today’s going to be a long day…” he grumbled to himself, opening the police database to locate the fugitive.

He called Sasuke at lunch, checking up on him. “Hey… How are you?  I hope you liked the present I left for you on the counter.” He smiled slightly, finding that even when he wasn’t near the other, every burden seemed to lift itself from his shoulders.

The younger male laughed, both amused and embarrassed by the “gift” Itachi had left for him. “I’m fine. That present was...interesting. I have a gift in return for when you get back.” he said, voice switching to a more suggestive tone.

“Oh really…?” Itachi questioned. “Maybe you can try the gift out before I get home…” He teased darkly.  He looked above the door at the clock. Lunch was over. “Hey...I have to go now…See you and that gift later…I love you…”

The younger Uchiha smirked before huskily saying, “You know, that gift is a perfect fit. Love you too. Bye Itachi.” He hoped the other male would catch exactly what he was implying. Itachi bit the inside of his cheek and hung up a moment later, impatient to get back to the flat.