Chapter 3: A Break from the Past

Chapter 3: A Break From The Past

“-ke. -suke. Sasuke!” someone called, snapping the fourteen-year-old out of his reminiscence of the past. He blinked before turning towards the person who had spoken his name. His adoptive mother smiled gently at him.

“About time you rejoined us. You’ve been out of it for a bit. If you don’t hurry, you’ll end up being late for school.” she told him, reaching  out to squeeze his arm gently before she straightened out to leave the teen alone.

Sasuke watched the woman leave his room before he turned his attention back to the window. He rubbed his arm subconsciously, almost as if trying to rid himself of her touch. He gazed blankly out the window, then let out a sigh as he stood to finish preparing for school.

He grabbed his bag and headed downstairs to leave. He quickly rushed to put on his shoes, hoping to get out before he saw his adoptive father. Unfortunately, luck was not on his side this morning. A broad hand came down on his shoulder, squeezing the part affectionately. Sasuke managed to hide his wince at the harsh action.

“Hey there Sasuke. I hope you weren’t planning to leave without telling your father to “Have a nice day”!” the middle aged man said, smiling warmly at the younger male. Sasuke shook his head, placing a smile on his face. “Of course not. It’s just that I don’t want to be late. I hope you have a good day at work.” he stated before worming his way out of the older man’s hold and running out the door.

Sasuke didn’t stop running until he was a good mile or two away from that house. He sighed as he slowed down. “Damn. Always so fucking persistent. Not like you’re my real dad, jackass.” he grumbled to himself. He reached up to see how bad his shoulder was bruised. He hissed in pain. Shit. The bastard had left deep bruise on his shoulder. It would be a few days before he would be able to move it without too much pain. He groaned. “Great.”

The Uchiha switched his bag around so that most of the weight was on his good shoulder. He continued his walk to school, glaring and grumbling all the way. He stayed in a foul mood until he felt his phone vibrate in his pocket. A smile made its way across his face. There was only one person who texted him.

‘Itachi.’ he thought happily. He took his phone out of his pocket and navigated to his messages. He grinned as he saw the message from his elder brother.

Hey Sasuke. How are you holding up? The message said. This brought a smile to Sasuke’s face as he responded.

I’m fine. How are you? It’s been a while since we’ve seen each other. He replied.

Yeah.  It’s a little annoying actually.  I miss my little brother.  How’s everyone treating you?  Okay?  He asked. A small laugh escaped the teen at the older male’s words. The smile faltered for a second as his shoulder pulsed with pain, but he brushed it off, wanting to keep talking to his beloved older brother.

Yeah, it’s all good here. I wish you were here though. I miss having you around. It’s lonely without you here. The brunet replied, bringing his brother’s attention away from questions about their adoptive parents and towards the two of them.