Chapter 11: A lost place

We left for the abandoned city, it would be perhaps a day of travel, but since we had left in the afternoon, we would have to sleep in the middle of the woods.

I really cared about getting to the capital and stopping the creation of that weapon that could destroy us too. They wouldn't listen to me if I told them over the phone, but an agreement could be reached if I could convince them that not all the EH were the same. 

Also, I was surprised that the government had not tried anything like that. Maybe they were hiding something, which wouldn't surprise me. In the Asian continent, they didn't have these problems; Japanese people even treated them right for looking like a 'yokai' or some gods or demons from their ancient culture. That fascinated me since they kind of described them way ago without knowing them yet.

The forest was full of life. For the most part, that life fled upon realizing the presence of the skillful predator that was with me. Soon the night began, so I laid out a bedsheet in the overgrown grass and lay down; Anthony sat at the foot of a tree near me.

"Won't you sleep?" I wanted to know.

"No, I'd rather be alert," he said as he looked around.

I felt sorry. He flexed his legs, rested his forearms on his knees, and looked in another direction, and I could see how his eyes reflected the moonlight. I turned around, settling on my side to look at him so I could open my eyes and see how he was doing. He turned to look at me and smiled barely.

I was dying to know what was going through his mind...

***

Anthony was watching a small deer that was down the hill. We were nearby the edge of a short canyon, maybe five feet high. It was not much. After it, there was a hillside.

The deer were grazing in the valley. I knew he would hunt him down. Anthony had his eyes entirely focused, preparing every muscle to shoot off, starting to let out a very, very low growl.

"Hunting?" I asked, and he gave a short sound of surprise. 

The deer looked up and ran away. Oh...

"Marien." He looked at me, completely intrigued.

I covered my mouth and smiled sheepishly.

"Sorry! Didn't you know I was next to you?"

"I was concentrated and facing the wind, so it doesn't take my aroma to the animals."

"Oooh... Come on. We don't need such a large animal anyway. Remember, I have plenty of food and meat in my backpack."

He sighed resignedly, and I smiled at that. He was another masterpiece of nature. We heated the food, and after a few minutes, breakfast was ready.

"Who taught you to hunt?" I wanted to know.

"My mom."

"Wow. Is she as good as you?"

"It may be said. She is a hunter. We rarely hunt in our town since the hunter's caste does it, but it's like a simple extra knowledge for the rest of us. Anyways, something calls me to do it. We have it in our genes, I guess."

"What's your mom's name?"

"Enif."

"Oh... it's the name of a star."

"Yes, it is." He offered me a sweet smile. 

After breakfast, we keep everything and get ready to continue. The day was wonderful; the weather here was always perfect, it could get freezing, but we were not in Winter yet. Centuries ago, this area was said to have been very hot.