Chapter 1

It was a typical day in the office for Dr Irwin. He had tons of paperwork along with several patients. He barely had time to sit down before he got a message saying his next patient was here.

"Bring them in." Dr Irwin said.

He waited a few moments before there was a knock and his nurse came in with his next patient.

"Dr Irwin, this is Ella and her dad." The nurse said.

She left and the two made their way into his office.

Ella was small. She was 5'6, skinny with brown curly hair that reached her mid back. Her eyes were hazel but  you couldn't really tell because she kept her eyes to the floor. Ella was fairly pale but most of her skin was covered due to her long sleeve shirt and black leggings. She sat down on the couch and her dad sat down next to her.

"Hi, I'm Dr Irwin. How are we doing today"

"Hi, I'm Tom and this is my daughter Ella. I think if we were doing good we wouldn't be here." Ella's dad said, slightly laughing at his joke.

"Yeah. Well hopefully we can help with that." Dr Irwin said.

Ella's dad gave a brief run down as to why they were there. Ella was struggling horribly with Depression, anxiety and anorexia. She had been to a couple other psychiatrists that didn't work out and that's why they were here. Dr Irwin nodded here and there while writing down some notes. After that, Ella's dad was excused so that Dr Irwin could get to know Ella better.

"So Ella. Tell me about yourself." Dr Irwin said.

She shrugged. Still looking at the ground. "Nothing much. I'm just messed up in the head."

Dr Irwin frowned. "Your not messed up. You're just going through a hard time right now."

Ella shrugged again.

Dr Irwin decided to change the subject. "What do you like to do for fun?"

Ella thought for a moment. "I like singing, playing the piano and writing."

"How long have you played the piano?" Dr Irwin asked.

"I started when I was 8 so eight years." Ella said.

He nodded. "If you were to name something positive about yourself what would you say."

It took a minute for Ella to think. A lot of patients at first have to think. They have a lot of negative thoughts about themselves and not a lot of positive ones.

"I like my hair." Ella said.

Dr Irwin nodded. "That's good."

"I have a question for you?" Ella asked.

"Sure, Anything. Shoot." Dr Irwin said.

"Why did you become a psychiatrist?" Ella asked.

"I wanted to help who struggle with their mental health like you." Dr Irwin said.

Ella nodded.

"Most doctors would have had me spill everything out in this visit." Ella said.

"Well, I'm not like most doctors. I want to get to know you first. Build a trust." Dr Irwin said.

Ella nodded again.

"I want you to think of me as your friend."