Chapter 41

Eseul learned that Volunteers not only search for keys and keyholes but also engage in combat.

Eseul bit into her lip.

"You're worried for her, aren't you?" Artyle asked.

"Yes," Eseul affirmed.

"Despite his age, Commander Kye is a competent and skilled leader who cares for those assigned to him. He will protect and lead her well," Artyle assured her.

"But... Dew will have to fight," Eseul pressed.

"Yes... but one day, we all do," Artyle responded meaningfully. "Even you. We cannot shelter everyone forever but need to guide them as they face the world," Artyle added.

That was true, but it was different when it was real.

                                                                                        ......

"Let's practice a few more techniques," Bire suggested as he began to demonstrate a few moves.

Dew's hands were red and sore so that it was difficult to grasp the sword's hilt.

"No, hold it like this," Bire instructed as he came over to her to help her grasp her wooden sword properly.

Dew focused again.

She had left Eseul even though Eseul was the one who had taken her in when no one else had. But it was better that Dew distance herself from her. The less people who were close to her, the less people there were for Dew to get attached to, and the less painful it would be when the time came to let go. Because that time always came.