Jeremy's Gratitude

He wasn’t breathing. I tried to process everything that just happened. I kicked him in the pond, he drowned, and now he’s not breathing. I felt his neck, his pulse was still beating and he still felt warm.

I tried desperately to wake him up. Slapping his face, shaking him, and calling his name.

He’s not waking up.

Years from today I will be featured on America’s Most Dangerous. People from all over the world will be sickened and horrified that a young fresh faced teenager like me can do such horrors to a boy. Flashing News: Babysitter Murders Boy! My mother and father would be so distraught; they would possibly cry their heart out.

This can actually become a reality. With all my power I had to save him.

Oh yes! CPR!

I remember learning CPR basics during freshmen year, it was part of health class. Pushing on his chest, I applied pressure just below the ribcage. I tried to be cautious, as it was common that one can break a rib during CPR. That didn’t work, he needs air. Without hesitation I gave him mouth to mouth CPR.

This went on for a few minutes, until finally his eyes begin to open. Soon, he was coughing. I left him to cough and kneeled watching him. Jeremy coughed violently, trying to get the water out of his lungs.

After his violent coughing ended, he sat still. The silence was overbearing.

Luckily, he was the first to speak. He didn’t look at me, not even face me. Jeremy asked, “What just happened?”

… Lying is probably the best thing to do right now. I stood up, wiping the water from my hands on my jeans.

With a puff, I replied, “Well you see… Butters! He was chasing a bee or a moth I’m not too sure and he smacked into you! Luckily I didn’t head inside yet and heard splashing. So I see you, in the pond, waving your arms about! Yeah, ahaha!” I felt so guilty. “Jeremy, I would have saved you earlier but I didn’t know. I’m so sorry Jeremy.”

“You gave me CPR. Mouth to mouth.”

“Yeah, I did. You weren’t breathing and that was the only way. Why? Jeremy? What’s wrong?” I asked. I walked over to his side and faced him.

He was hiding his face away from me, and he began to blush very red in the face. Jeremy stood up flushing red even more. His stiff posture and clenched fists showed signs of agitation. He didn’t look me in the eye but he said, “Thank you.”

Aw, how sweet! Even though I caused this whole problem. Even though this wasn’t how I thought it would turn out, Jeremy still thanked me.

“Aww Jeremy. That’s really sweet of you,” I said and reached out to touch him. Only he flinched, and then he ran into the house leaving me all alone.