CHAPTER 3 - 🚲

Seungmin's POV

"You want to what?" Yechan asked in disbelief. He's my friend. A very good friend and I hope he's still a good one at times like this.

"Borrow two bikes." I said cheerfully hoping that would do the trick. I focused on his eyes, trying some sort of telepathic communication with him. Oh, please agree. Just this once. I'll owe you one. No, two! Fine, five.

"Where are you guys going at this hour?" He asked and he turned to Hyebin who is silently watching us beside me. "Hyebin doesn't seem like the person to go out after dark."

"Tonight is an exception." She said. "Seungmin promised me we'll have fun." I didn't exactly say that but I think what I'm doing give out that impression.

Yechan gave me a questioning look that says, Did you poisoned her? Why are you even together?

Bro, I tried to say. Just give us the damn bike and I'll tell you everything tomorrow.

"Come on," I said out loud, hoping Hyebin didn't notice our silent exchange. "You have like one bike per day. It won't hurt lending two and I pretty much own one of them already."

"We'll return them later." Hyebin backed me up.

Yechan sighed in defeat. I know he treasures his bikes but it's not like I ever broken one of them. He's just being stingy. "Okay," he finally said. "Just return them in one piece." He added as he walked towards the side of their house where his bikes are chained to a rack.

He returned with two bikes on either side of him, the one I usually use and the one which I recognize as the smallest one he owns.

I took the small one from him and handed it to Hyebin.

As I took the other one, Yechan said, "I swear if something happens to my bikes.."

"If you don't trust him, trust me." Hyebin said. "I'll take extra care of them."

"Yah!" I objected. "We're friends, of course he trusts me."

"Doesn't seem like it." She said with a shrug.

Yechan raised an eyebrow at me but I just patted his shoulder. "Thanks, bro."

"Thank you." Hyebin said as she mounted the bike. She pedaled ahead and when she's a bit out of earshot, I turned to Yechan.

"What the hell is happening?" He asked.

"Haneul apparently broke up with her," I said.

"What?"

"I know, I know. And I just happen to be her emotional support clown."

He snorted. "Suits you."

"It's not so bad." I said as I mounted the bike.

"I'm sure." He eyed me suspiciously and I know what he's thinking. I just shook my head because it's not important right now. "Good luck, anyways." He said and smacked my back as I pedaled off.

Hyebin and I headed towards the park where there is a lot of space to bike around. I was wondering why there aren't many people but when I glanced at my watch, it says it's already a few minutes past 8pm.

"Race you to the flower beds!" Hyebin said as she zoomed ahead of me.

"Yah!" I shouted as I pedaled harder. "You said you'll take care of the bikes!"

She glanced back and laughed. "Why use a bike if we'll only go slow? They are supposed to be used like this."

I smiled and let her rush in front of me. I didn't bother racing her as I enjoy the gash of wind on my face but I wasn't too far behind.

I can tell she's enjoying because she's hooting and laughing. I wonder if Haneul is really out of her mind even for a bit.

"Come on!" She said, looking behind at me. "Is that the fastest you can go?"

I switched the derailleurs and speed past her.

"That's unfair!" She shouted but I just laughed. She seemed to switch the gears too but she only got farther behind. "Why did it get so heavy?"

I slowed down to look but that was a mistake because a second later, she dashed past me again. "Hey!"

She laughed. "Don't slack!" And we just pedaled with all our might trying to race each other.

I remember us doing exactly the same when we were kids. Our parents bought us matching kids' bikes-pink for her and blue for me. I insisted on removing the training wheels of my bike and it didn't take long for me to learn how to balance while pedaling. Hyebin got rid of hers too when she thought it was cool to have only two wheels and when she finally got a hold of the balancing, we started racing right here on the same park.

We were laughing when we arrived almost at the same time to an open area surrounded by flower beds. There used to be people who manages the flowers every spring. They used to arrange the flowers by their colors to form a picture like a ball, crown, and the last one I remember was the smiley face. Now, it's just a wild bed of different colored flowers. I wonder why they'd stop making those pictures.

"I win!" I said as we slowed down.

"Only because you cheated." She retorted.

"No, I didn't. Your bike is smaller. It's only natural for me to win."

"So the bike won, not you."

"It couldn't have done it without me." I said and she laughed again.

We unmounted the bikes and went to sit on the stair steps on one corner.

"I haven't done that in years." She said. "I forgot how fun biking was."

"We should do it more often." I suggested and realized it will be another commitment if she agrees.

"And bother Yechan often with the bikes?" She asked rhetorically. "I don't think that's a good idea."

"Yeah." I just said but I can't help feeling disappointed. I'm sure she wouldn't buy her own bike just to hang out with me and I don't really need to have one for myself since I'm friends with Yechan.

"Thanks for tonight." She said and I can feel from the tone of her voice that she's ready to go home.

But I wasn't yet.

"Well, if you're really thankful," I started. "How about buying me some fish cake?" There is always a fish cake vendor around here at this time of the night.

She chuckled as she stood up. "Really? That's all you want as a thank you?"

"I could ask for more?"

She seemed to think about it but she said, "Sure. Make sure it'll be worth what you've done for me tonight."

"Hmm.." I pretended to think. "How about...more fish cake?"

She laughed. "More fish cakes, then." And she went to the direction of the vendor without waiting for me.

When I finally stood up to follow her, she stopped walking. She became frozen in place as she looked into the distance.

"What?" I asked when I reached her.

And there, in the direction where she's looking was Kyungmi, one of the girls in our year, kissing Haneul.