CHAPTER 5 - 🎶

Hyebin's POV

We were pedaling silently and really slowly but I didn't mind. Seungmin was a few feet ahead and I was just thoughtlessly following him.

I can't get my thoughts away from what I saw and heard right out of Haneul's mouth. How come things were progressing so fast between them? When did they start? We just broke up this afternoon. THIS AFTERNOON! It wasn't even more than five hours ago. But there's no denying it anymore. It already happened.

I stopped moving my feet and let the remaining force to move me forward. For a second, I closed my eyes tightly and took a deep breath as I take everything in. Despite his perfect demeanor in the eyes of people and how good he is in almost everything, Haneul, at some point in our relationship, cheated on me.

I heard a squeak and when I glanced forward, Seungmin stopped. I pulled on my breaks and look around. This isn't our street.

"Why are we stopping?" I asked.

He nodded towards McDonald's. "Since I didn't get my fish cake. I figured I could get some burger?"

Right. I was supposed to be thanking him. "Okay." I said and followed him. We parked our bikes on an area designated for them.

We entered inside and there wasn't much people. When we reached the counter, Seungmin turned to me.

"What do you want to eat?" He asked.

"I'm not really hungry." I answered and furtively clutched my stomach, willing it not to rumble at that exact moment because even though I'm hungry, I wasn't really in the mood to eat. For a split second, Seungmin glanced below and I hope he didn't notice.

"A Big Mac, 10 pcs. McNuggets, and two chocolate sundae please." He ordered.

He's gonna eat all of that? I took out my wallet and handed him some cash but he looked at me as if I'm crazy.

"Do you really think I'll let you pay?" He said, pushing away my extended arms.

"It's my thank you gift." I said matter-of-factly.

"Nah, I don't really deserve a thank you gift." He said and I can't help feeling guilty. Just a while ago, he'd been excited for fish cake. The mood shifted now and he's not anymore trying to light it up.

We sat on a corner and I was surprised when he put the nuggets and one of the sundaes in front on me.

"I said I'm not hungry."

He smiled lightly. "And you expect me to believe that? Even though we haven't been friends for quite some time, I know that no matter how sullen you are, you couldn't resist those."

I started to feel tears collect in my eyes again. I wasn't sure if it was because he said that we haven't been friends or that he remembers exactly what I want. I feel so thankful and sorry. What had happened between us? I don't exactly remember why we drifted apart. He is such a great friend.

"Please tell me you aren't gonna cry again." He said in a slightly panicked voice.

A short laugh came out from me as I fan my face with my hands. "I won't. It's just that, how do you even remember these things. The basketball, too."

He shrugged as he open his burger. "I just assumed you still like them." He smiled at me knowingly. "When we were kids, you always have a hard time handling change."

"I do?"

"Remember in fourth grade when your feet got bruised because you kept insisting on wearing that pair of shoes to school even if it doesn't fit you anymore?"