7 | part one

Jord's glaring at me with disdain as he picks his red shirt on the floor

Jord's glaring at me with disdain as he picks his red shirt on the floor. He walks to the door without looking back, then slams it so hard it makes me jump. Suddenly, this room feels so strange and empty.

A nauseating feeling erupts from my belly, reaching my throat and mouth. I spring out of the bed, buttoning my shirt sloppily with my free hand, and run to the bathroom at the end of the hall.

I reach the sink and let cold water run, leaning in with my mouth wide open. Each gag is more violent than the last, and compresses everything between my stomach and my mouth. But nothing comes out.

What have I done? Jord can't just go away like this, the thought hits me and I step back, clasping my back against the wall.

We need to talk this out. That was the plan from the start: to talk. Not to have sex. Why have I not stuck to it.

My right hand is still stuck inside my pocket as I go down the stairs. Not being able to move an arm freely makes a tremendous difference when comes to keeping your balance. I have to be careful, not to end up with a broken neck. I don't want being my personal broken bone fixer.

When I reach the base of the stairs, I spot Jord with his friends. They are all still gathered in the backyard. I guess that is was the spot for the popular ones.

I exhale and walk towards the kitchen, then go past the door that gives to the backyard. I'm wondering where I'm taking the courage to do this from.

I expose myself to the stares and mocking smirks of the seniors reunited there. Mara is still among them. She looks even more drunk than earlier.

Now she's mumbling nonsense in an attempt to sing the song playing inside the house. Her glass is tilted and it spills beer on the grass as she spins. So much for being straight edge. And I'm the one who couldn't stop counting the years until I can legally drink alcohol. . .

Mara doesn't even look my way. Her presence here makes it all more complicated. But I'm not here for her. Not for Jord either. I'm here for myself. To finally understand where things will go from here. Suddenly, I feel more fearless and I walk forward.

Patrick doesn't look at me in the same welcoming way as he did earlier when I arrived. He is poking at Jord's shoulder to warn him about my presence. But Jord's having none of it, even when Patrick mutters to him that I am here. I stand behind him. In silence.

He turns around with a heavy sigh. "What?" His tone is impatient.

"We need to talk," I try to be firm, but my words still come out more timidly than I want.

"About what?" he says.

One of the guys in the group comes forward in chuckles, probably due to the alcohol and not the situation.

"You're in trouble with a junior kid?" he teases.

I feel the urge to punch him in the face and make his nose ruddier than it already is. I sigh and focus on Jord again. Trying to have this conversation with him is already hard enough.