Chapter One

( can i call you tonight? • dayglow )

My wrist briefly glides across my forehead to wipe the dampness of the sweat, only to have my loose curls fall back in place. My other hand remains focused on lightly tossing the flour onto the wooden countertop, and in doing so I tic; blinking several times abruptly as I continue working on the task at hand.

A couple more occur, as they usually tend to, and I take a second to stop and wash my hands. Grabbing my blue bandana from my bag, I wrap it around my forehead just beneath my dark curly strands of hair, before getting back to work.

I push up my rounded glasses with my forearm as they begin to fall, and I'm nearly finished kneading the dough. Delicately placing it into a tupperware container and wrapping the outside with plastic wrap, before setting it into the fridge to allow it to chill for the rest of the day.

Just as I close the refrigerator door, I wash my hands once again. The oven dings with all of the croissants and danishes ready for me to set out, and I put on my mittens to pull out the trays. A smile forms on my face as I'm doing great on time. I had finished up the bagels and donuts earlier, and I'm now glad that I got them over with when I did. Baking has always been a bit of a therapeutic thing for me, though.

Just as I begin to make my way out of the back room, rolling the tray out with all of the pastries, Chet, my good friend and manager, strolls into the bakery. Cap and all, he smiles at me.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he was bald under there. I smile back nonetheless.

"Ooh, I see the pastries are looking as deliciously amazing as ever."

"Thank you, thank you," I begin delicately placing all of the pastries appropriately on the display racks, in the same precise fashion that I always do.

Once I'm happy with the placement, I head back into the back room to wash my hands, before coming out.

Haha, coming out. That'd be a nightmare to have to do all over again.

Chet flips the sign, and we're open for today. I check my watch and I can't help but pump my fist as I see that it's 7:00am.

Right on time.

Chet begins grinding some coffee beans, and the strong, earthy and rich scent fills the quaint shop.

I've never quite understood how something can smell so heavenly, but taste so awful.

Looking out the window as I take an apron from the hook rack, I release a breath at the view of the beautiful sunrise. One of my favorite things about working morning shifts.

Ever since I started working here a few months ago, I've loved it. It's been incredibly fun to bake and have a friend in a new place.