Lucky Charm

The iron door stood ajar.

We gaped at ourselves.

Aubrey went near the door and looked at the open door swinging on its hinges. She traced a hand over the edge of the door and clicked on the handle to check if it was loose. It wasn't.

" I didn't know my hands had the strength to open things by hitting them." she mocked herself.

That was a positive comment. I would have rolled on the floor thinking it was a ghost.

Aubrey banged the door and stood by my side moving away from it.

We waited there to see if any other old door would swing open. Nothing happened.

Relief flowed in me. We left from locker room and started our sprint towards the west wing.

We managed to dash through the now fully filled classroom. I spot a woman standing in front behind the desk. I guessed it was Mrs. Martina.

She was dressed in a tight pink half skirt with a matching light yellow blouse. Her yellow heels matched the outfit. Her skin looked beautiful but her makeup gave a bold shade of colours to her face. Without it she would have looked much younger than her own age.

All eyes stared at us as we pried into the classroom. I checked my watch there were still 5 minutes for half past eight.

She was early.

" Well, well look who we have here." She cheered with her high pitched voice. She gestured us to enter the class extending both her hands. We were about to walk past her to our seats. But she stopped us with her hands in front.

We turned to face her. Her eyes looked creepy when it blazed on us.

" Late on the first day." her voice had lost the cheer it had before. It sounded more like "you are dead" to my ears. We didn't even make a noise in reply.

Aubrey and I stood there, staring at our toes.

" Heads up! Where were you both?" she squealed at a high pitch. The
words were loud in the silent classroom. Bad start of high school I guess.

"Weee....lockkkkeerrrr...thirteennn" I spluttered out.

Aubrey stepped on my toe to shut me up. I twitched my leg in pain.

"Mam, We went to keep our suitcases in the locker room. We came in by eight and left our bags in the seat before we went." Aubrey spoke out boldly and even pointed at our bags.
I stared at her with awe.

"Ohh! Good. I will leave you guys this time." Mrs. Martina excused us as the cheer catched up in her voice again.

We darted to our seats immediately. I let out a deep sigh after flopping in my chair. I saw Aubrey to my right. We stared at each other and giggled silently.

"That was close." I mouthed at her. She nodded in agreement smiling wide.

That was a wonderful science class. Though Mrs. Martina gave us the scares for life we both enjoyed her class since it was our favorite subject.

Yes it was science indeed. It was the first common factor we found out.

After our morning sessions we had our lunch in the canteen. The canteen was very furnished like a hotel's dining hall. I loved the lunch too.

Mathematics was scheduled for the afternoon. An old professor came in and started right away even without introductory prep talk. I believe he would have studied for long before he ended up here to teach us.