The Guest

The door flung open again.

How could it open after I closed it with my own hands?

Did the rusted latch rip off loose? This left me clueless again.

The door stood half open with no sign of anyone behind it. Atleast Mrs. Susan's appearance behind the door brought some relief even we ended up getting warned.

But the empty scene was even more scary to see.

" Who.. Whhooo isss thattt?" I mumbled in fear.

" Who is that?" Aubrey came up from the bed and was about to reach the half open door.

Yet it didn't need Aubrey's hand to be opened. It opened wide after her words. It added up to my terror. A cold chill ran down my spine. My hair started to stand up erect on my arms.

" Whooo...areee...." Before Aubrey could complete her words a head peeped in, from near the frame of the door.

I didn't hear another word from Aubrey. It was masked by my own screams. I let out the scream stuck in my vocal cords.

Before it increased in volume Aubrey's hands masked them completely. Just like the first day of our meeting.

My scream made the head to show up in whole. I stopped screaming slowly when I saw the figure standing at the door and let Aubrey free her grasp from me.

It was a girl.

She looked our age. She was pale...very pale and her frizzy black hair reached up to the shoulders. Some strands of her hair made a fringe hiding half of her forehead. She looked like she hadn't combed for days.

She was dressed in a short white gown reaching her knees. Her dress looked a bit old fashioned though. Her feet were bare, she didn't have her shoes on. Weird.

The whiteness of the clothing was not so neat. It had shades of brown sticking to it. Did she wash them?
I didn't even know her and she opened the door out of nowhere and here I was, wondering if she had washed her clothes. Haha, funny me. I thought to myself.

But the highlight of her features were the light green eyes. They were shaded lightly and they matched well to her brown black hair.

Who is she?

"How can we help you?" Aubrey enquired looking at her in suspicion. We didn't know what else to ask. We never had any coming to our room before.

" Hi!" The girl said in a deep tone. Her voice sounded so deep for a girl. It sounded like she was speaking from inside a well.

Aubrey and I looked at each other wide eyed at the sound of her voice. It was unusual for us to hear this sort of voice.

I guess the girl noticed our looks because she cleared her throat before she spoke again.

" Hi."

Her voice sounded sweet now. This was the tone I imagined to hear when I saw her first. She might have had a sore throat to speak out like that first. I convinced myself at the diagnosis.

" Hello. Come in." I welcomed her warmly and motioned her to get inside leaving the doorway.

She was the first guest to come to our room. I was happy to see someone taking pain in visiting us.

She nodded at me and took small steps to come inside. She looked around the room and her eyes searched along the ceiling. She acted like a woman revisiting her old house after ages.