Ten

Faye’s POV:

The radio drove me mad. The constant static rang through my ears non-stop as Lee, Fred, and George all huddled around a table every day, listening. For what, I’m not sure. I just assume they want to keep up to date. They pay extra close attention to the death lists, name after name being read off like clockwork. We all wait, listening, hoping we don’t hear anything that sounds familiar. 

I sat just outside the tent with a book, unable to focus due to the noise coming from inside. Instead I sat and watched the birds in the trees of the Forest of Dean, wondering what it would be like to simply fly away without having to worry about a target on your back. 

The attack on Paris was three weeks ago now. It’s been three weeks since I found out about Lisa’s death. Three weeks since the death eaters killed hundreds of innocent people because of me. Three weeks since I learned about my dark fate. The worst part about all of this was that Fred still had no idea that I was going to die. 

I knew I had to tell him. Merlin, I wanted to tell him so bad, but I couldn’t. I didn’t know how. Every time the words made their way to my lips they just couldn't be formed into the correct sentences. I knew he would try to help me if I told him. I knew that he would never give up hope. I knew that he would never accept that he fell in love with a girl that was destined to die. 

“sickle for your thoughts?” I heard a voice beside me. I turned to see Lee joining me, sitting down on the ground outside the tent where he previously resided. 

“No amount of sickles could buy your way into my mind” I smiled, closing the book that I’ve been neglecting for hours. 

“How about a galleon?” He bumped my shoulder. I nodded slightly. 

“Now we’re talking” I chuckled. 

“Seriously, what’s on your mind? You’re awfully quiet these days” 

“Did Fred ask you to come out here and talk to me?” I offered a sympathetic smile, knowing that Lee was never much of a “talk to me about your emotions” type of guy. 

“Maybe” He gave me a tight smile “I think he figured I was some sort of neutral third party” He chuckled. 

“Well, sorry. Nothing much is going on in my mind lately” I lied through my teeth. 

“Well that’s quite the change” He joked but I remained silent. He coughed awkwardly, clearly uncomfortable by the conversation. “Look Faye, we’re all worried about you. You hardly eat, you hardly sleep. You barely say good morning to us these days. All you do is sit outside all day and stare into the trees. What’s that all about?” 

“Remember when I said there was nothing on my mind?” I sighed, looking at him. He nodded. “That was a lie”

“I could have told you that” He rolled his eyes. 

“I’m the reason all those people in Paris are dead, Lee. I might as well have killed them myself. And all for what? Nothing. I have no information to use against Bellatrix. I risked our lives going there and as a result innocent people died” I closed my eyes, hugging my knees to my chest. 

“You did not kill those people Faye. The death eaters were planning an attack in Paris anyways. Yea, your arrival may have advanced it, but it was a planned attack. There was someone else there they wanted, and it wasn’t you. You were just an extra little prize for them. There was nothing you could have done” He placed a hand on my back. I looked over to him, resting my head on my knees. 

“I wish I could believe you” I fought back tears, my voice cracking. Suddenly I saw the curtain of the tent shifting behind Lee and I sat up, looking. I heard hushed voices behind it but they soon became more aggressive, the occasional “shh” thrown in there, and eventually Fred and George came tumbling out of the tent, having clearly been eavesdropping.