𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟐 - 𝐄𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫

In an effort to avoid Theo as much as possible, I spent most of the next day at school hanging out at the enchanted trees. It was perfect; Wednesday was there a lot and Theo literally couldn't get in unless he was invited in by me, Wednesday or Al.

"So, what's new, Ember?" Wednesday smiled at me warmly as we sat down together. She must've had some inkling of what had happened the afternoon before, yet she'd learnt over the years that it's politer to ask, rather than instantly assume.

"Theo and I... kinda got closer last night," I admitted, huffing, "Then he chickened out and literally ran away."

"Men." Wednesday wrinkled her nose in mock disapproval. "It'll figure itself out though, trust me on that one."

"Okay." I hesitated before presenting my palms towards her. "My hands also caught fire for the first time."

Reaching across to me, she grasped onto my hands and stared intently at them. "It's as I thought. Your abilities are beginning to develop."

I pressed my lips together and nodded — breathing deeply and trying to let the soothing crashing of the trees' leaves calm my racing mind. It was as I'd expected; my palms catching fire was the start of a long road to learning and attempting to harness the Phoenix's power.

"What do we do?" I asked Wednesday, looking up at her.

"We, Ember Hestia Milburn and Wednesday Mortelle are going to live our lives freely whilst we can."

My face scrunched up. "That sounds ominous."

"It is; I've seen it — and no, I'm not telling you — so that's why we need to live now!" She declared, pulling me up from the ground and linking her arm through mine. "We're going to make the most of who we are right now, instead of worrying about the past or dreading the future. Live in the moment. Carpe diem, Ember Milburn! Carpe diem!"

"We're not getting matching tattoos," I joked — then added expectantly, "So when and where does this living in the moment plan begin?"

She pulled a face at me. "We have History next, right?"

"Well, yeah..." Rolling my eyes, I pointed out, "There's no way we can live now while learning about the past."

"Come on Ember." She started pulling me away from the enchanted trees. "We can't hide out here forever. And, as we are taught in CAP, 'the best way to protect yourself and others is to be around others.'"

"Don't you dare start quoting Sarah," I warned her and quoted back, "And anyway, 'sometimes isolation from others is the best way to find yourself.'"

"Don't you dare start quoting my father," she feigned irritation while laughing.

On a whim, I suggested, "Can we take a detour past I.T. and flash Theo through the window?"

Wednesday shook her head firmly. "On any other occasion, I would say yes, but—"

"Oh, come on! Why not?" I complained, waiting for her to give me a real reason. "What happened to living in the moment?"

She raised an eyebrow, "But, I'm wearing my ugliest bra so it's just not possible."

When I managed to regain my breath from laughing, I questioned, "Can I just flash him then?" —causing us to collapse from laughter again.

Even though I'd been feeling horrid since Theo ditched me, laughing with Wednesday seemed to make everything okay again; the joy my friendship with her brought me was utterly irreplaceable.

"No!" Wednesday said between laughs, "You... can't... tease... him... like... that!"

"Watch me." I dared and walked up to the I.T. window after checking it was actually his class. I waved at Al and then blew a kiss at Theo — sending his cheeks a shade of dark crimson.