𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟕 - 𝐓𝐡𝐞𝐨

I couldn't believe that the Agency wanted me to get close to this Alpha. Well, actually, I kinda could — it was exactly the same twisted methodology that they seemed to use for everything. Maybe if they just left me alone and didn't tell me what to do, I'd be okay... But now I was going to have to join a pack that I didn't want to join.

Who even knows what this Alpha's like?

Most of the morning was a blur and it was only in homeroom that things became less blurry, as Ember spoke to me. Everything in my life seemed to be blurring by; I had no clue how it was already November. Four months had passed since my pack disappeared, and I was no closer to helping them.

But now I had my own challenges to face. Like the new Alpha, like the hunters coming after me.

"Hey," Ember greeted as I sat down next to her. "How did things go with Neal the other day?"

I was glad she'd not called him my dad, but only shrugged in response. "As expected."

"Ah."

Mr Markab started taking the register before we could start talking again, "Theodore?"

"Yes, sir. But it's just Theo," I reminded him yet again.

"Wednesday?" He ignored me and moved on, typical; I hadn't expected him to do any less.

My leg bounced irritatedly underneath the table, struggling to contain the fact that I just wanted to lash out at everyone and everything. I couldn't stop thinking about my pack; knowing they were being held by hunters was torturing me. The fact that my pack was still alive — while it was somewhat conforming — was also worrying; hunters rarely keep supernaturals alive for long. There was also my dream with Abi, then her necklace showing up — what does it all mean?

"You okay?" Ember checked as soon as the register was over.

"Yeah, fine," I grumbled, before admitting, "Didn't sleep too well last night."

"You slept fine with me the other night," she spoke softly, slightly sliding her leg against mine under the table.

"Yeah, that's 'cos you were there." I shrugged, "I find it harder to sleep without my pack, and I guess having you lying next to me was comforting."

"Oh my God... Kaden's here." Ember's jaw practically dropped as she looked out of the window. "For some reason, I just didn't expect to see him again after he ran off in the woods."

Exasperatedly, I groaned inwardly as I looked out of the window and saw him, remembering that the Agency wanted me to stick with him or whatever. Maybe the Agency pushing me to befriend Kaden and join the Alpha was some sort of sick ploy to distract me from my missing pack.

There's no way in hell I'll forget about them.

"I had no idea he'd be coming back to school..." She trailed off, her mind full of thoughts.

"I'm supposed to look out for him," I muttered to Ember, but couldn't say any more as Kaden walked into our homeroom.

"Okay, class, this is Kaden Bowers," Mr Markab announced after he'd finally gotten the class to shut the hell up. "Some of you will probably remember him from a few years ago, because he was in our form then before... his accident. So, I want you to be warm and welcoming towards him, okay? Good." He finished and told Kaden to find somewhere to sit.

Of course, he decided to sit right in front of me and Ember. Typical.

"Two new guys in less than three months." Eric turned around and sneered at us, speaking in an acid tone, "God, Ember you're turning into a real slag." Then he turned back around, sniggering to himself.