𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟏 - 𝐄𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫

𝘞𝘢𝘳𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘨: 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘵𝘢𝘪𝘯𝘴 𝘴𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘮𝘢𝘵𝘶𝘳𝘦 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘯𝘵

"Ember?" I heard my name called outside my window — as well as the sound of knocking lightly against the glass. Hesitating, I waited until the voice exclaimed impatiently, "It's me, it's Theo. Now please let me in before I fall 30 feet and break my neck!"

"Okay, okay!" I called back hurriedly, figuring out that he'd somehow scaled the drainpipe outside my window. Freaky werewolf.

Pushing my curtains back and flinging open a window, I let him into my room. I felt a pulse of anxiety bubble up in my chest — I'd never had a guy in my bedroom before at night and in secret. But Theo wasn't just some random guy; I trusted him a whole lot more than any other guy I'd been involved with.

Instantly, he shrugged off his coat and pushed off his shoes, which were covered in mud. I figured out pretty quickly that he ran to my house, judging by the slight sheen of sweat lingering on his hairline.

Suddenly aware of how I was only wearing my pyjamas, I blushed and swore under my breath. My PJs consisted of a grey vest and baggy PJ bottoms — not attractive at all. I folded my arms over my chest and waited for him to say something.

When he kept silent and continued to stare at my extremely uninteresting sandstone-coloured carpet, I started with a simple, soft, "Hey."

"Hey," he echoed, avoiding looking at me and fiddling absentmindedly with the hem of his hoodie. Either my carpet is incredibly interesting and exciting, or something is seriously wrong — well, more wrong than what he's just had to do to.

"Are you okay?" I asked, taking a few steps closer to him but not uncrossing my arms. I wanted him to know that I was there for him, but at the same time, I didn't want to push him too far. It was a delicate balance act with barely visible lines which I occasionally stumbled over.

"I've been better," he admitted with a half-shrug, finally looking me in the eye. Countless emotions swam in those hazel-blue irises of his; so many of which were indistinguishable to me. Pain, anger, hurt... Yet also relief — relief for me being there with him.

Oh God, I hope I don't let him down.

"You'll get through this," I tried to say encouragingly, but my words came out haltingly as the two of us fidgeted awkwardly.

"I know." He sighed softly.

Then neither of us said anything for a couple more minutes. He moved slightly back towards my window causing me to break the silence.

"You don't—" I began, but:

"I should—" Theo began at the same time.

"You go first." I shook my head.

"No, you go," he insisted, a small smile flitting across his forlorn face. "What were you going to say?"

"I was going to say that you don't have to go yet," I said to my feet.

"Well." He laughed lightly, but the laugh didn't quite reach his eyes. "I was gonna say I should probably go."

"I want you to stay." I worried the inside of my lip anxiously. "I need you to stay."

"Okay," he agreed — only half-heartedly like he'd been wanting to stay all along. He took me in his arms and held me before he smirked. "Nice jammies, by the way."

Frowning, though not angrily, I half-pulled away. "Oh, 'cos you just sleep in boxers all the time?"

"Basically." He nodded, drawing me closer to him again. "Or joggers."