3| Diaphanous

Diaphanous (adjective)

- very sheer and light; almost completely transparent or translucent.

~*~

"Sip sip, hooray!" I shouted as I whirled around in a circle, the beer in my cup sloshing and spilling over the rim and onto the ground. Tipping my head back, I consumed another gulp of beer and it scorched its way down my throat. "Sip sip, hooray—" My cheers were cut off as I stepped on my own foot and went toppling forward, my plastic cup of beer rolling away from me. Some sand got in my face and I rubbed at it, wincing at the irritating feeling.

I pouted, staring at the dancing bodies around me. Everyone appeared to be having such a magnificent time. The fire was burning and there were drunken smiles on everyone's faces. Personally, I didn't know those people. Nolan got invited through some random dude and I just followed along as I always did. We had been at the party for nearly four hours already and about 30 minutes ago, I lost Nolan. A short chestnut-haired girl (around my height) had wandered up to us and taken a hold of my best friend's hand. Judging by the look in his green eyes, that girl was the reason we came to the party in the first place and probably why he'd blushed when I asked him what was wrong. The next thing I knew, I was abandoned, spinning in a circle whilst drinking—not a pleasant combination if my nausea was any hint.

Propelling myself onto my feet, I tugged my sundress back into place because my boob had slipped out. I then floundered towards the make-shift bar to get another cup of much-needed beer. I acknowledged that I was already way too drunk but I didn't care. Everyone at the party was wasted. And the thing I savoured most about being drunk was that you didn't have to pretend to be anyone you weren't. Even though I didn't know many people at the party, they didn't judge me. They didn't glare at my short sundress or roll their eyes because I was wasted. That was how I wanted things to be back at school.

"Twinkle twinkle little star. I am headed to the bar," I chanted as I twirled, slamming my hand on the table with the beer. My brothers always despised me when I got drunk because evidently, I was too much to handle. But Christian and Caleb weren't there, I thought with a grin as I picked up another cup. Looking out towards the crashing waves, I spotted a solitary figure sitting hunched on a bench, staring at the waters. Being the meddlesome drunk bitch that I was, I commanded my feet to work and take me in the direction of said figure. The closer I got, I discerned that it was a guy, and he looked like he didn't want to be bothered at all. But did I care? No.

I bounced in front of him, nearly stumbling over as I began to shimmy my body. "Why be moody when you can shake your booty—ah!" And down I went again. This time, my cup landed on my boobs and the beer went scattering all over my chest and face. I laid there in the sand, my back aching from the fall as I glanced up and my eyes met concerned coffee-coloured ones. Noticing that he was gazing at me, I grinned, a big grin which made my eyes clench shut. When I opened them, his face was still inexpressive.