𝟹𝟷| 𝙴𝚚𝚞𝚊𝚗𝚒𝚖𝚒𝚝𝚢

Equanimity (noun)

- mental or emotional stability or composure, especially under tension or strain; calmness; equilibrium.

~*~

A long sigh left my lips as my eyes fluttered closed, nose wrinkling at the invasion of the strong strawberry-scented air. The warmness of the water prompted my skin to turn a small dawn-tinted hue but I didn't mind, descending further into the white bathtub. Bubbles were everywhere, threatening to drown me and scattering over the rim.

Pink candles were arranged precisely on the counter, flares flickering as they glowed, emitting the familiar fruity aroma. It relaxed me, I'd come to realise. This had been my routine for the past three days. It was a fine Wednesday evening and my household was downstairs preparing for dinner after a long day of hard work.

Except for me.

Ever since the debacle that happened this weekend, I hadn't stepped foot onto school premises. My days were spent sleeping in bed, baking, and unwinding in the tub as bare as the day I was born with the bubbles acting as my veil.

And no, I was not being a coward. I'd actually felt unwell Monday morning and Dad allowed me to stay home until I felt more healthy. He had a concerned smile when he told me this Sunday night, paying close attention to my swelled eyes and red nose. I was tempted to echo his words, prompting him to stay at home too.

It was rather apparent that Dad was weakened, holding soccer practice every day and I didn't want him to sweat himself too hard. Caleb looked the same but he covered it easily behind that firm eloquence of his as he barked orders. Preparation for the Martelle Game was really stressing them out. 

Maya was the same since we had to have a good routine for that match. Speaking of the cheer captain, she and the team performed at a match at school yesterday. Lakeside versus Kerbel High. My brothers came home yesterday sweating like pigs in the sun but by the tiny smile on Caleb's face, I knew they'd triumphed.

I felt distressed that I missed the game but I knew that I wasn't in the right headspace to be surrounded by so many people and Maya fully understood that. Tomorrow, I affirmed myself, I was ready for school. I was ready to walk through the hallways with a fearless strut, just like how I did every single day since 9th grade. 

No boy was going to rip that confidence away from me.

Bringing some foam closer to cover my bare chest, my eyes strayed across the bathroom as I took in the display of my best friend slouched out on the sofa in the corner. Yes, I had a sofa in my bathroom, exactly for this purpose - Nolan relaxing whilst I bathed and we spilt the tea.