𝟸𝟼| 𝙳𝚎𝚏𝚊𝚖𝚊𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗

Defamation (noun)

- the act of defaming; false or unjustified injury of the good reputation of another, as by slander or libel; calumny.

~*~

"But I'm in love with him!"

I rolled my eyes at the outburst, casually leaning back against the counter and popping another strawberry into my mouth. The colour of the fruit was nearly the same shade as the long curls of the girl in front of me.

Her honey-brown eyes welled with tears of frustration and she clenched her fists, willing herself not to cry. She was always so dramatic. "Calm down, Tammy," I said smoothly, hearing the chatter of the people around us.

It was Sunday night and we were all at Liam's house to attend the party which was somehow part of his plan. Liam wasn't one to share much with other people and he still hadn't gotten out of that habit because I had no idea what was supposed to happen tonight.

After our hike, he'd taken me to Shrine's Corner Cafe for some ice cream and then we went to the beach where we spent the rest of the day lounging on a blanket he purchased at the gift shop. I really enjoyed myself and I made sure to tell him so once he dropped me at home.

I wasn't sure if it was the naive girl inside of me speaking but I was moderately sure that he was about to kiss me goodnight but Dad had opened the front door. Suffice to say, Dad was very startled to see the new member of his team on the front porch with his only daughter.

"I can't calm down!" Tammy yelled over the loud music thundering from the living room. She stomped her foot and her long red hair swayed with the action.

Reaching into the bowl on the counter, I clutched another strawberry and chewed into it, watching as an intoxicated couple retreated upstairs. I could imagine the look on Liam's face if he found a couple making out on his bed. "No offence, but I doubt he even knows you exist. Besides, he's so far up Jillian's ass, he won't spare you a second glance."

Tammy squawked at that, knowing that I had a point. She'd been crushing on Mattia for I don't know how long but she's still yet to make a move. All she'd been doing was gazing dreamily at him from afar. Even when he showed up at the party earlier, all she did was gawk at him and I didn't miss the bewildered look on his face.

"But now that we're rebelling, maybe I've got a chance with him," she endeavoured, snatching a strawberry and popping it into her mouth. 

Looking past her, I recognised Liam entering the kitchen and I grinned, my mood uplifting immediately. "Look, Tammy. I'm still uncertain about this whole thing with Jill but once it's confirmed that we're no longer confined to our cliques, I promise to help set you up with Mattia."