𝟽| 𝙴𝚙𝚘𝚌𝚑

Epoch (noun)

- a particular period of time marked by distinctive features, events.

~*~

The tv was boisterous as usual as the sound boomed within the house. It was on a sporting channel, of course, but I didn't complain. With a drowsy yawn, I stretched my body across the couch, finding a more satisfying position. It was dark outside and the stars were beginning to peek out. 

On the coffee table in front of me were three empty boxes of pizza, a clue that the James household had just finished having dinner. Beside them were empty plates and I groaned at the thought of having to wash them. 

"It's your turn to do the dishes," Caleb warned me in an annoyed tone and I knew it was because I hadn't been doing them for the past two weeks. That meant that the duty fell onto my brothers. Christian didn't mind because he liked being alone whilst doing the dishes. It was Caleb that was the problem. 

I groaned, smothering my face into the fluffy pillow. "But, Caleb, my ankle hurts," I added a whine to make it more plausible. 

He upped his lip in a snarl, checking to see if our dad was anywhere near before moving closer and grumbling, "listen here, you little bitch. You've skipped out on chores for the past two weeks and I'm sick of it. You're just milking this now. We all know your ankle is fine."

Stifling a laugh, I glared back at him. The doctor had said that I merely sprained my ankle and that I needed to stay off it for two weeks. Those two weeks were up, as Caleb liked nagging me. As much as I craved cheerleading and playing soccer, my ankle also kept me from doing chores.

"Dad!" I screamed, filling my voice with terror and Caleb's eyes widened. "Caleb's threatening me again!"

Dad was in his office yet he still managed to hear me and yell back, "Caleb! Stop threatening your sister!"

Caleb stood tranquil and I laughed, shoving him away from me. I pushed him so hard that he nearly toppled onto the sleeping figure of our brother. Christian was curled up on a couch similar to the one I was on, his face pressed against the cushion. Caleb bounced a foot away from him and I shoved my head into my arms to stifle my laughter. Everybody in our house knew to never wake up Christian James. He was a sleeping beast. It was best to let him gradually wake up on his own. 

I stood up, throwing Caleb with a piece of pizza crust and he ducked out of the way, his socks gliding on the wooden floor and he crashed to the ground. This time, a loud laugh escaped me and I looked to a still snoring Christian. "Go do the dishes, Captain," I teased as Caleb sprang back to his feet.