Until Tomorrow

Delta's POV

Vera came running up to me. She was smiling. "Ma! Guess what!"

"What, Verr?"

"Unca Hiccup can fly again, tomorrow!"

I smiled even though I felt a pang of jealousy. I wish that our relationship hadn't crashed as it had.

We should talk it out. No. I can't do that. We'll just make it worse. Probably blame each other for what happened. I mean he just yelled at me whenever I try to make it up to him. Then again I did yell at him first. But I went through so much and for him to just expect that we'll be good after that. But he was trying to find his way home the whole time. But he shouldn't've tried to take on Grimmel by himself! I mean he practically left us! But he tried to save everyone! Well, he should've had back up!

"Ma? Can we pwease visit Berk?"

"I've explained this already, Verr. I don't want you talking about it! We left and that's that!"

"Unca Hiccup talks 'bout it." She muttered.

What! Who is he to tell her about that! I'm her mother for the love of Thor! He can't just go against that!

"Well, he shouldn't've!"

"Why, you and Unca Hiccup not like each other?"

"We're not talking about that."

"You never wants to talk 'bout anything! I'm gonna go see Dad!" She ran off and jumped before shifting and flying off to Thor knows where.

"Verr, wait!" Great! I lost my brother and now I'm losing my daughter! He was always better than me, though. He's strong, fierce, smart, caring, and kind. A strong leader, a good friend, a great father.

I swore to do what was best for the village. Fishlegs always knew he would be the best for the job. Well... here we go.

I shifted before going to the forge where Hiccup usually worked.

Sure enough, when I got there I saw smoke billowing out of the chimney. I heard baby laughter. Before someone started yelling.

"I said back! You get back! I banned you! You go for my sister when she's mated! Leave! Now!" I recognized the voice to be Hiccup's. Why would he be shouting like that? And what sister is he talking about? Who is he shouting at?

Suddenly, a loud banging sound started coming from the forge before a shout of pain and then someone came running out, "Ya! That's right! Run away! Don't come back!"

"Why can't he just leave her alone? I know, I know. I'm mad at her, but she's still my sister. I'll defend my family to the end no matter what. Oh! You want me to do that again?" Was he talking about me? Does he still care? Can heal things?

Baby laughter came from the forge again and I decided now was a good time to approach.

"Hiccup..."

He turned with Osmund in his arms and an icy glare, "What do you want, Delta?" His voice was cold as ice. The warmth from a moment before, gone. Nevermind. We can't heal.

"I just wanted... Uh. Well... Honestly..." I looked up and saw pure curiosity in his eyes. "I was... thinking about you and... I realized that... you'd be much better suited to being chief than me." The last part came out as a jumbled mess.

His eyes widened.

"Let me get this straight... You want me to be Chief."

"Ya. Pretty much."

"And why exactly?"

"Because I never wanted this title and I swore an oath, Hiccup. I swore I'd do whatever is best for the village and you... You're what's best for them. I can't juggle all of this. Four children. A village. I do my best, but I don't think it's going as well as I hoped. And-"

"Why didn't you ask Rowan or Snotlout?" His tone was friendlier than before.

"We both know Snotlout will burn the village to the ground. And Rowan doesn't want it either. I talked to him about Dad wanting to pass it down to me before all this happened. You do want it?"

"You aren't wrong about Snotlout. But, it's a lot of responsibility. I'm just not sure I want that. What with Osmund and everything that's happened lately-"

"I understand. Really. I do. It's a big thing to ask. And you probably need time to think about-"

"I'll talk to Astrid about it and we'll see. I'll let you know."

"Okay. Bye, Hiccup." I wanted to say more but didn't know what to say.

"Bye." He opened his mouth to say more but instead turned and headed back into the forge.

I guess this how it'll always be between us now. At least it can't get worse. 

Hiccup's POV

She was going to say something else. But what? An apology? Did she want to talk? Did she want us to become siblings again? Be closer? I want all of that! I want her to apologize and for us to talk and become siblings again! I want to backtrack to when we were close!

"I don't get it, Osmund!"

He just smiled.

"Ya, you're right. I should take it. I don't really want it, but... Fishlegs always wanted me to be and so did Mom. Let's go see Astrid."

When we arrived back home we found Heather and Astrid laughing about something.

"Hiccup! When's the big day?" Heather asked.

I groaned internally. I need to tell, Astrid. But not while Heather is here.

"Haven't decided, yet."

"Oh, Osmund! You're looking so cute!" Heather said.

"Hey, Heather. How about you hold him?"

I passed Osmund over to Heather and motioned for Astrid to follow me outside.

"Hey. What's up?"

I looked back at the cave and saw Heather playing with Osmund.

"Well. You gotta promise not to shout 'cause I don't want Heather to know, yet."

"I promise."

I gave her a look while remembering the time she'd immediately broken her promise.

"That was one time."

"Okay, okay, geez! So, Delta came to the forge today while I was there and she asked me something kinda strange. She... well, she want me to be Chief."

The second I said the last word I realized she was about to shout so I covered her mouth.

"You say you won't shout."

"Just give me a minute."

"I don't know if I'm gonna take the offer, Astrid. I mean, it's a lot of responsibility and I won't have free time like I does, now."

"You should, though. Hiccup, you'd be an amazing Chief. You have the political thinking, strategic battle thinking, are smart, understand people's pain, understand dragons, too."

"But, I want to spend time with you and Osmund."

"Hiccup, you can still spend time with us. But, I think you need to do this. Delta wouldn't've offered it if you weren't qualified."

"Okay, I'll do it."

"You can tell Delta, tomorrow. I'm gonna go put Osmund to sleep for the day."

I opened my mouth to say something else when I realized that Astrid was no longer beside me.

Tomorrow.