HIM

There was a storm brewing.

It was there, in the furtive glances Jonah had noticed Cara giving him the past few days. Like she wanted to say something that would shake the very foundation of this thing they’d built together.

Jonah couldn’t tell if his fight-or-flight  response was broken, because instead of wanting to run from the storm, he was looking forward to it, with an electricity under his skin.

Did she want to take some time apart?

No, it didn’t feel that way.

If anything, the flame of their passion had burned hotter than ever in the days since she’d started looking at him with secrets in her pretty green eyes.

What was it? He’d almost asked, many times.

Once, while they sat across from each other on one of the many dates she insisted they had in their little Benjamin Button venture.

More than once, after they’d sated each other’s voracious needs, worn out on his bed, or hers, or the floor, or the recliner in his living room…

But every time he’d started to ask, the words had clogged up in his throat, pushed back down by his fear of what the answers to his questions would be. Until the questions couldn’t remain unasked any longer.

“Spit it out,” he said one day, while he lay next to Cara on a picnic blanket with the sky bright blue above them and the grass green beneath them.

She turned to look at him with wide eyes, obviously contemplating evasion, clearly unready for his questions.

“Spit what out?” she spluttered.

“Whatever you’ve been thinking of asking me all week, babe. I know you won’t ask unless I ask first. Come on. Spit it out.”

She pouted a little bit, looking back up at the sky, then she huffed out a huge breath of air, sucked in another one, turned back to him, and blurted, “What’s the wildest thing you’ve ever done?”

A raised eyebrow. “Ever?”

A deep blush started to form in Cara's cheeks, and she picked at nonexistent lint on the blanket while she said, “You know what I mean. Like, in bed. Sex.”

“Miss Cooper, this isn’t the kind of conversation to be having on a nice sunny day in the park,” Jonah said with mock chastisement in his voice, and that earned him an elbow in the side.

“I’m serious,” Cara said, rolling onto her side to look at him with earnest eyes. “I want to know.”

Jonah laughed a little, turning too. “Why?”

“I don’t know? Sharing is caring?”

Another tiny laugh, then the clearing of his throat, a subtle let’s-get-down-to-business.

He scratched his chin – he hadn’t shaved in two days, and though the stubble excited Cara, it could also get annoying – and said, “Well. Let’s see. It was probably this one time I had a threesome with a friend and a girl he was seeing.”

Cara’s eyes went wide as saucers, and there was something in her expression, something in the hot pink spreading from her cheeks down to her throat and chest that made Jonah believe this was the exact answer she’d been hoping for, as strange as that sounded.

“What… what was it like?” she asked in a whisper, like someone could stumble upon them in such illicit conversation. Jonah shrugged. “Good? Sharing is caring?”

That cracked a smile from Cara.

“I’m serious,” she said, and she was. It was obvious in the way her pupils had started to dilate, the black slowly creeping over the green. It made something untangle in Jonah’s gut; a kind of loosening of the darkest truth.