SOMETHING LIKE LOVE

When Lord Dragomitus brought me back to Adelmiro Circle, I knew what I had to do. Unlike the past six years, I wasn't on a wild goose chase. I understood what sacrifice he meant. And for once it didn't scare me. But if I was going to go ahead with it, I wanted to be filled with as less regret as possible. As I was lost in my thoughts, my feet moved towards the Southern Wing without my knowledge. When I found that I was already there, I didn't have a reason to go away. Besides, I had to see Ryne anyway. I didn't know how he was feeling now.

With all my dragon powers, sneaking up to his chamber was child's play. All I had to do was fly up to the roof and climb down a flight of stairs. I walked quickly until I reached his door. Then I began hesitating. It was two in the morning. What would I tell him? Would he think I was being weird? As I was contemplating, the door was suddenly yanked open.

"Are you going to just stand there?" Ryne asked. He was wearing a fresh T-shirt and pyjama pants. His hair was wet and a towel hung over his shoulder.

My cheeks coloured. I had never seen him in such a casual attire. Even pyjamas suited him. I wondered what he looked like without it. My heart began fluttering at that thought. Before my brain could lose its functioning capacity, I decided to answer him. "I just wanted to check on you. But after coming here I realized that it was quite late," I said softly, in case I woke up anyone else living on this floor.

He smiled at me before pulling me in like the last time I was here. Locking the door behind me, he dropped the towel and said, "I don't mind. I was worried when I didn't see you around. Arlan told me someone from your clan was here?"

I smiled tightly, "Yeah, he was just here to deliver a message. Duty related, nothing serious," I said as I walked further in. Although he was the ti-eglor, his room didn't scream of luxury. It had the basic necessities, all arranged in a clean and pleasing manner. But then again, if I had the ability to snap mess away, my room would be clean too.

"Duties, I understand," he said with a sigh as he leaned against the table.

"Does it ever feel like a burden to you?" I turned to ask him.

"A lot of times. But they are my people and their welfare is my divine responsibility," he said.

I swallowed with a nod. He seemed to have gotten it all together and he had more people to look after. I felt even more selfish and guilty for my behaviour all my life.

"That's probably why," I said aloud.

"Hmm?"

"Keelin was right. You really are as close to perfect as one can get. When I first saw you, you were powerful. You handled Yuvien's drama, then got onto the stage and spoke to everyone with so much ease. You always seemed so sure of yourself. You exerted your authority, yet maintained friendships. You took responsibility yet weren't drowned by them," I said.

He let out a laugh, "I really don't mind the compliments."

"That's probably why I hated you. You had everything under control while my life was slipping away from my grasp," I whispered.

He sighed before walking up to me, "But not anymore, right? You completed your quest successfully. Everything's fine now."

My eyes teared up, but I smiled at him, "Yeah, everything's fine."

He held my hand gently and stared at it as if it were the most interesting thing he had seen in a while. "About before. You know when you were about to-"

"The kiss?" I asked, my cheeks flaring up again.

He was surprised, "I thought you would act like it didn't happen," he said, licking his lips.