A LIFE FOR A LIFE

"Dum!"

"Da- dum"

"Da-da dum

"Da-da dum"

"Dum"

Huge circular drums made of goat-skins were arranged in a regular pattern around the platform. As warlocks struck them rhythmically with huge clubs, the people in the audience yelled, "Hah!" every once in three strikes. Soon the energetic sounds of drums and voices filled the air.

"My turn," Ryne whispered in my ear. He kissed my cheek and smiled at me. A small drum materialized in his hand. It had a red handle and two twines connected to the sides of the drum which ended in small black beads. He moved away from me to the front of the platform and began swinging the little instrument. The rhythm soon changed to become even more energetic. I couldn't help the smile that came over my face. I hadn't expected the prayer to be so lively.

The eglor began chanting in the magic-tongue, "Fisoe musike diren Hecate"

Soon everyone began to join in his chant. 

"Fisoe musike diren Hecate"

Ryne glanced back at me and nodded. I took a deep breath and added my voice to that of the mass.

"Fisoe musike diren Hecate"

"Fisoe musike diren Hecate!"

The atmosphere grew warmer as each person began to invoke Hecate's name. All the torches in the clearing lit up at once with a loud whoosh. The people began thumping their foot to the rhythm to keep the flames alive and burning. The beats became faster and the chants louder.

Lightening struck a tree and it began burning. Thunder rumbled. The sky cracked open and parted to reveal a red space beyond. From there emerged a fifteen-foot being. Hecate soared in the sky. Her expression was chill-inducing.

Long wispy black cloth covered her body and fluttered behind her. Her black hair was as long as her body and thick enough to completely blanket a mountain. It was so sharp that it sliced the sky with every flap leaving gashing red marks behind. Her eyes were red with rage and a layer of yellowish material covered them.

"Who?" she asked as she glared down at all of us. Her voice sounded like a sword being sharpened. Then her terrifying eyes fixed on me, "Dragomir!" she sneered.

My heart dropped down to my stomach, my tongue dried up and my knees trembled. I hadn't expected her form to be so horrifying.

"How dare you, mortals!" she screamed as loud as a million banshees.

I clutched my ear tightly and dropped onto my knees, unable to bear the intensity of her scream. So did everyone else.

She shook her head wildly, faster than my eyes could see, and her hair began to strike the ground like a scorpion's tail. The earth cracked open and the world shook in agony. Her motion had the winds from all four corners rushing about in madness. The people scrambled to get out her way and to keep from falling into the deep chasms that had now formed.

Ryne held both his arms above him and placed a protective shield around those on the ground. The eglor joined him and soon every magic-kind who wasn't struck began to add their energy and magic to Ryne's spell. But no one would attack the goddess back. And without that, it was of no use as she continued her furious onslaught.

"This won't do!" I yelled at Ryne who was quite far from me, "We need to stop her!"

"I can't help it. She's my mother. And no one else can face her," Ryne yelled back.

I looked back at her. Her form was frightening enough to turn my heart to jelly and my blood to ice. But I couldn't let her harm these people. It was my idea to summon her. Of course, I hadn't expected her to be so cray-cray. But it was still my responsibility.