Mrs Trenneman

'12341234123412341234-'

Roy and I sat a seat apart, not daring to touch, as my, rather large and intimidating, mother stared us down. Roy and I both didn't dare say anything.

"Roy," she turned her head to eye my boyfriend, completely expressionless, "What's your secret?"

Roy's face was oddly similar to what it was during the Judy-Julie incident. He stumbled as he spoke and was obviously holding back tears.

"We- well, my biggest secret- is probably that I'm g-" he paused when my mother began to shake her head and closed her eyes as if she were both pitying and condemning him.

"No, Roy," she seemed mad at first and I began to fidget ever so slightly, "I mean what's your secret to understanding Moss? I mean, Moss is my son. And I love him with everything I have. And yet, I've always been jealous of you. He came out to you first, he spends all his time with you, he never fails to understand you."

I felt a wave of extreme guilt wash over me. Had I really been neglecting my mother that intensely? I decided to stay quiet in anticipation for Roy's answer.

"W- well," Roy looked over at me, "Moss makes me happy no matter what, so I never feel the need to pressure him."

"Are you implying that I pressure my son?" My mother retorted and Roy sat up straight

He looked like a child being caught stealing, "No, m-"

My mother began to laugh sadistically and smiled at Roy, "Thank you for making my son happy."

Roy and I both finally let our breath flow easily, and my boyfriend went back to his usual slouching.

"However, if I catch you and my son doing anything inappropriate while I'm in the house, I will disown both of you," she pointed a finger towards Roy, and then towards me.

I think she was joking, but I'm honestly still not sure.

"Now where were we?" Mum stood up and nodded her head, "Oh yeah, do you boys want anything to eat?"

"Chips please!" I smiled and held Roy's hand under the table.

Roy ended up deciding to stay over that night and we were warned that if anything 'nasty' happened, my mum would figure it out with her 'motherly senses'.

We layed in my bed, playing with each other's fingers and just looking at each other. Everything finally felt so at peace. I was happy with Roy and my mum wasn't angry and that was all that mattered to me.

"Moss?" Roy's gaze remained fixed on mine.

"Yeah?" I replied gently.

"Today got me thinking," his hands stopped fidgeting with mine and instead began to grasp, "I want to tell my parents about you."

The fact that Roy seemed proud of me made me excited, but still, I didn't smile. I didn't want him to tell his parents just because he thought he had to.

"Why?" I placed a hand on his cheek.

"I want to be close with my parents. And I want them to understand my life."

I nodded my head and pecked Roy on the lips.

"I'll be here every step of the way."

-

Roy and I sat, side by side. There were no chairs in between us this time, but we still dared not touch. Roy looked even more pale than usual, and any person with mediocre eyesight could notice the monstrous beads of sweat forming on my forehead. I sat up as straight as possible, and Roy seemed to slouch down even more, almost in shame.

"Roy," I whispered and he looked over at me, "I believe in you."

He nodded slightly and looked back up.

"What made you want to have dinner with the family?" Mrs Trenneman placed a bowl of salad in the middle of the table to accompany the rest of our meal.

"Uh," Roy looked over at me for reassurance and I nodded, "Can you both please sit down?"

Mr and Mrs Trenneman both took their seats across from Roy and I.

"Why did you bring Moss if this is serious?" Roy's mother took a small swig of wine and began to dish out her meal.

'1-2-3-4.'

"Please can you just stop for a second?" Roy sighed and his mother put her hands up.

Roy rolled his eyes and I gave him a reassuring pat on the back, an action that took more courage than anything I'd ever done.

"There's a part of myself I haven't shared with you, and I would like to," Roy didn't dare look his parents in the eyes.

'1234.'

"I'm gay," his voice cracked and he wiped a tear from his eye.

"So you brought your boyfriend here to tell us that you're gay? You could've at least had the decency to not bring two of you here," his mother's voice grew louder and Mr Trenneman stayed dead silent.

"With all due respect, Mrs Trenneman," I began but was cut off.

"I don't care what you have to say, quite frankly," Mrs Trenneman sat tall and proud, it's a wonder her son turned out the way he did, "Before you, our son was an entirely average boy."

"Mrs Trenneman, one cannot simply make someone g-" I felt my blood boiling.

"Roy," Roy's dad broke his silence, "I never want to see you step foot in this house again. You've upset your mother and I can't stand for that."

I turned my head to Roy once again, but his crying had stopped. He simply hung his head low.

"Would you like to leave, Roy?" I looked at the side of his head sympathetically and he simply stood up, made his way to the front door, took all of my coats, and opened the door.

Forgetting about Roy's parents watching us, I stood up and ran to the front door in order to follow him. I caught up with my boyfriend on the path outside of his parents' house.

"We came all this way," his voice cracked and he finally let tears flow, "All the way to Ireland. Just to tell them this. And-"

Roy sniffled and I wrapped my arms around him tightly.

"Let's find a hotel and go to bed," I said in his ear.

I let go and he simply nodded and took my hand.

"I love you, Roy. No matter what, I'm here."