chapter two

Dear Ms. Aspen,

I am pleased to tell you that we have read one of your story ideas and on behalf of Pedant Publishing Co., I am thrilled to inform you that we are considering to publish one of your work and extend the following offer of employment. You have been selected as one of the best candidate for the Book Editor position. A meeting will be held for you on December 15th at exactly  4:15 PM. We request that you would come on or before the given schedule.

Please reply to this email to confirm your attendance before 11:00 PM.
We hope for your presence.

Mr. Andrew McCartney
Pedant Publishing Co.

I read the email over and over, trying to make sure that this isn't some sort of a dream. After work, I decided to meet up with my bestfriend Charlotte to tell her about the offer but I got to the coffee shop an hour early to spend some time by myself.

Charlotte and I have been friends since Freshman college. We used to live together until she met her boyfriend and ever since then, they moved in together while I stayed in our dorm alone until I graduated but every once in a while, when Charlotte and her boyfriend would get into a huge fight, she would knock on my doorstep with a smeared mascara on her face and a tub of ice cream. She was always my complete opposite. She loves meeting new people—always the one to go out on parties especially during our college days while on the other hand, I'm always the one being dragged out of the room to get myself some experience because apparently, "you only live once", as how Charlotte would always quote. She knew that a person like me is likely to ever be friends with a person like her. I was too plain and boring while she's bright and always full of fun. But we balance each other out so much, even though sometimes, we drive each other crazy. At the end of the day, we would both come first to each other when something happens in our lives.

"Gwenny, you look like crap." Charlotte greeted while snapping her fingers infront of my sight, making me jump up from my chair.

"You're late." I said, sighing in disbelief. She checked her watch to check the time then rolled her eyes at me.

"I was five minutes late." She muttered. She pulled the chair infront of me then put her hand bag on top of it.

"I'm gonna get myself something to drink, do you want anything?" She asked, taking a bill out of her bag, waiting for my answer as she looked down to me.

"A blueberry muffin?"

"Okay, then go get some." She joked, laughing as she walked out to go to the counter. I waited for her to come back and when she did, she sat down and looked at me, patiently waiting for me to spill the words out.

"I got an email from Pedant." I said, grinning. Her eyes widen up, covering her mouth from screaming at the top of her lungs.

"What? No way!" she shrieked. She took my laptop infront of me and turned the screen to her, reading the email out loud.

"This is amazing! Did you reply to the email already?" She asked, looking up to me this time. Suddenly, I felt a slight turn inside my stomach, uncontrollably losing the grin that once crept on my face.

"Not yet." I said.

"What? Why not? This has always been your dream, Gwen." She stated, her tone had a hint of confusion in it.

"Yeah but Char, I've never finished a book."

"Oh yeah..." Charlotte trailed off. She turned the computer back to me then inclined her back on the chair. She knew my struggles when it comes to not being able to finish a book. She was the one who told me that I lack something, but she couldn't quite tell me what I lack. At the back of my mind, I always knew what it was but I was never sure if I'm right or not.