6

[TW: Hallucinations - death threats, self depreciation]
(...): Reader thoughts!

"- .... What?..
- Ah, sorry. Just forget it!"

You chuckled nervously. Though you were pretty sure your face was as red as Q-taro's hair, you smiled, trying to assure him everything was fine. Keiji shrugged, and walked out.

As soon as he was out of view, you put your face in the pillow and screamed silently. It slipped out. After a few seconds doing that, you actually got up. You quickly rearranged your hair, and ran to the lobby.

The others were around Kai's computer. You took place next to Kanna, trying your best to see. Sara examined the files, and you eventually discovered a few things. But all of a sudden, you heard the sound of a card trade.

As you all checked your tablets, Sara turned white and seemed to enter a state of panic. You and the others tried to calm her down, but she suddenly ran to her room. Nobody had understood what happened, but you were all equally worried. As you were going to follow her, Nao called you in the black corridor. You followed her, confused.

"- What is it, Nao?
- Uhm... You see, I had bought one of those victim videos and... I-I trust you, so I wanted to show it to you!
- Oh? Ah, thank you for trusting me.
- No problem!"

You two then watched the video. As soon as it started, you felt your world shatter. Nao glanced at you as your eyes widened. Megumi. The camera filmed some blond haired person, leaving your best friend behind.

Your mind quickly connected the dots. The blond haired person could only be one person, Keiji. Keiji left Megumi dying. Keiji left Megumi dying. Keiji left Megumi dying. K- Nao's voice brought you back to reality. You reassured her and excused yourself, before leaving.

As soon as you stepped into your room, you fell to the ground. So that's what Keiji tried to hide from you, huh? You couldn't believe it. You were losing everyone. Your mind was going blank. You couldn't feel anything anymore. You missed Megumi. Her annoying habits, her overwhelmingly perfect work, her very long texts, her sweet goodnights when you were in a video call, everything about her.

You didn't even see your face get covered with tears, as you recalled all the memories with your best friend. You didn't feel yourself falling on your knees. But after a moment, you felt two little arms around your body, making you raise your head up. You saw Gin, hugging you. Behind him was a worried Sara, and you smiled slightly as you saw them. 

You patted Gin's head and got up, wiping your tears away. Your gaze got filled up with a sad wave as you looked at Sara. You walked to her, and put one of your hands on her shoulder, while looking through her eyes. She didn't seem like she understood what you wanted to say, but she smiled nonetheless. 

The three of you walked to the lobby, where the others were called by Sou. He had found a way to break into the security system. Everyone's faces lightened up, at the idea of finally escaping. So after him and Sara deactivated the security system, you all went to the weird vending machine. After pushing it away, you saw long stairs. 

As everyone was climbing them, talking about what they would do once they were out, you stayed still on the bottom of the stairs, looking at the third floor. Where could Megumi be, now?.. You felt a hand on your shoulder, and, without surprise, it was Keiji. You glared at him and pushed his arm away, your mind filled with anger. Anger due to him leaving your best friend to die.

"You're so selfish. You ignored me for years and dare call yourself my best friend?"

(H-Huh?...)

"You only care about your own happiness. How selfish. You don't deserve to live."

(What are you saying... Of course I care about the others!... I mean-)

"Oh? And what about me? You never thought about me when you got trapped here. You're worthless."

(No.. I cared about you all the time... Aah... Aaaah.....)

"- (y/n)?
- Huh?!"

Keiji looked heavily concerned. You realized you had fallen to the ground. You quickly got up and fell into his chest, your legs too weak to support you. He slightly jumped at the sudden physical contact, but hugged you tightly, keeping you steady. As you muttered repeated 'sorry's, he walked you up the stairs, quietly. 

You were the last ones to arrive, and see the wall of rocks covering the exit. Everyone looked in despair, just as you both did. Since you couldn't do much right now, Keiji left you to seat in the winner room, while he helped Reko taking the rocks off.

After a few minutes, he came back to you. You had focused all your energy into not letting your panic take over like before, and looked visibly tired. Keiji stared at you with a serious look, but you could see a glimpse of worry. Making sure no one but you could hear, he asked you what happened.

"- I..
- Take your time.
- Megumi... First Trial.. Dead... Hall- AAaaaaaH-"

As you talked about what you'd seen, the image of your best friend dying got back on your mind, and you breath became shorter. Somehow, Keiji understood. You didn't get it correctly. You just know you'd felt his hand on your cheek, and you could try to think clearly again.

"- When did you see that?
- Around an hour ago... Nao... Showed me a victim video..."

Your eyes met with Keiji's. That was when you saw the pain and guilt he had in them. Who were you to complain like that? He respected Megumi and she respected him. They worked together. And he saw her die in front of him. He probably didn't have the choice. Maybe their First Trial was something you couldn't escape together. Yeah, that's the most logical explanation. He wouldn't leave Megumi behind.

At least, that's what you tried to make yourself believe. But one part of your brain knew it was obivously wrong. You tried to chase away all those bad thoughts, and looked at Keiji, trying to smile. The blond man got up and passed on your side to hug you. Though you weren't expecting it, you burried yourself in his grip.

"- I'm sorry.
- Huh?... ah, it's okay... I'm sure you have your reasons."

You sat in silence for a few minutes, before Keiji brought his fingers to your chin, gently bringing your face closer to his. A whispered ask for consent brushed your lips, to which you nodded. That was when his lips met yours, and you enjoyed your first true kiss. You would've stayed like this for way longer, if not for Sou coughing to signal his presence. The two of you quickly separated, and you were red of embarassment. Sou just looked... Used to it.

"- Hey, lovebirds. We should get back to the third floor, the main game is gonna start soon.
- A-Ah, of course! Thanks for calling us, Sou."

You almost ran outside and down the stairs. Soon, all of you were in the lobby before Gashu, who opened the way to the main game zone. All glancing at each others, your hope from a few moments before had completely vanished. While you stepped into the waiting room, one conclusion filled your mind. At the end of this main game, you could maybe know the same fate as Megumi.

***

Hii!

It's me again!

This chapter is finally here!

A n g s t. I hope I didn't trigger anyone with the hallucination passage, if I did, I apologize!

I was planning on posting this tomorrow, as it's my birthday (I'll turn 15!). But I thought, that maybe I could get some votes and comments as a birthday gift? 👉👈

Anyways, that's it for this chapter!

See you!