XV

The day of reckoning had arrived. I stood at the mouth of hell- at the end of the world- the opening to the basilisks' cave. In other words, I was boarding the bus to football boot camp. It hadn't helped that Connor and Daxx had both insisted on dropping me off at the bus. I loved them and everything, but they didn't exactly know when to cool the PDA. I could feel the glares from my team-mates already.

I felt like I was the karate-kid and Felix was my Mr. Miyagi. I had received all my training and now I was going to defeat the final boss. Was I ready? I stilled. God, I was sounding more and more like Felix. The drama queen.

Coach had told me to get on the bus already, since they were leaving in a second. Connor and Daxx both wrapped around, giving me a big group hug and Connor yelled 'I love you' as I entered, making the boys on the bus snicker. I slumped into an empty seat and waved through the glass. I had noticed Jimmy wasn't on the bus and that made my mood darken further. Sure, I was avoiding him, but he was my only possible protection when it came down to it.

The bus doors had closed and it pulled away from the curb, beginning to move down the road. I sighed. He definitely wasn't coming then. I looked out the window and saw something out of the corner of my eye- it was flailing it's arms. I patted Coaches shoulder and pointed it out to him and he got the bus to stop, pulling to the side of the road.

The figure came running up to the bus doors and scrambled on clumsily. Jimmy Wellot. I breathed a sigh of relief; at least he was here. He was like my mole on the inside. Sure, he may betray me when it suits him, but he's better than nothing. Jimmy flopped down in the seat across the aisle from mine and I could instantly feel his eyes trained on me.

Was he surprised I was here? I sure was. What the fuck was I doing here? Was I really such a cash cow that I would jeopardise my own safety for scholarship money? I was here, so I guess so. It was too late to turn back now- I doubt the bus driver would be happy stopping for a second time in thirty seconds.

I plugged in my earphones, blocking out all of the sounds from around me. I let the screaming lyrics of Asking Alexandria take my mind off of things. I watched out of the window as the pavements and buildings gradually turned to fields and trees, moving further and further out of the city. I jumped at a pinging notification, my phone startling me.

Felix: Are you dead?

I smiled at my phone and shook my head, replying that I was fine so far.

Felix: Kicking and screaming, remember?

Me: Kicking and screaming.

The bus eventually pulled into a small dirt road after about an hour of driving, which was a relief because my legs were numb. Coach stood up and announced that we were just pulling up to the camp now and that we should remain seated while they check in with reception. The bus came to a stop and he and the driver both went inside the reception, leaving me alone with a group of people who hated me.

"Did everyone see the faggot with his fag brother and his fag boyfriend?"

I flinched, tears threatening to come up. I pushed it down; it didn't matter what they said. Kicking and screaming. You're okay, Andy. You know you have a better family dynamic than any of them could even dream of.

"I think you mean his husband... and I would be concerned if his husband wasn't even a little bit gay." I shrugged, refusing to let them get to me.

They started to yell something about gay people ruining marriage, but Coach came back before the guy could come over. I breathed a sigh of relief. I really shouldn't rial them up, but I couldn't help defending my family. They can talk shit about me all they want, but not about them.