XVII

I woke up to sunlight slipping through the drawn curtains, dancing across my eyelids. I shielded my eyes as I stretched, sitting up in bed. I looked over and saw Jimmy tangled up in his sheets, half naked and peaceful. I couldn't help letting my eyes admire him- he had washboard abs for christ's sake.

A trickle of an inappropriate thought threatened my mind and I looked away abruptly. Our conversation last night had clearly stirred something within me. I tiptoed to my dresser and pulled out some running shorts and a band tee, heading to the bathroom. I got changed, putting on some deodorant and brushing my teeth quickly, before slipping out of the cabin.

I plugged in my earphones and cringed at the time. It was far too early for me to be up right now. After last night I didn't want to deal with Jimmy before I got a chance to think straight. It was getting harder and harder to think straight around him (pun intended).

I thought about jogging, but I cringed at the idea of running after yesterday and settled for a forest stroll instead. My legs still ached from yesterday and I knew today was going to be even harder. I looked around and took a deep breath. It's refreshing to be walking around outside- usually I drive everywhere. There was a green rooftop made of trees above me, gently swaying in the wind. The sound it made was very calming. With every step I took, leaves and branches crunched underneath my feet.

I thought about last night. I had enjoyed talking to Jimmy a lot. A bit too much, judging by my heart pounding when I saw him this morning. I groaned- why did I always get caught up in this kind of drama? Why couldn't I have just liked Will- he was clearly interested and out of the closet. I was physically attracted to him, but the problem was that I wasn't emotionally attracted.

It was undeniable that Jimmy had been flirting with me recently. Even I, an unsociable idiot, could recognise that. I wasn't sure what he wanted from me though. I knew if we got together, it would just complicate everything in my life. He wasn't out and I don't think he was coming out anytime soon. I didn't feel like being anyone's dirty little secret.

I pondered over it a while longer as I strolled along. It was decided. I would reject Jimmy's advances because I don't want to get caught up in a complicated mess that might end up with me being hurt. We could be friends- I would be more than happy to help him out that way.

I checked the time and decided to walk back the way I had just come, heading to breakfast. By the time I got there, everyone was already eating a full fry up. I wrinkled my nose at the fatty smell and just grabbed some toast and eggs. I once again sat away from everyone else.

I noticed Jimmy sat at the table with everyone else, laughing along to a joke one of them had made at my expense. I rolled my eyes- so much for an ally. I felt his eyes rest on me, but I continued looking down at my food, pushing my eggs around with a fork. That laugh had hurt.

I had just finished breakfast when Coach stood up, clapping his hands to get our attention.

"Yesterday, our focus was on stamina and approaching matches tactfully. Today, we're focusing on teamwork since some of you were never taught to share as a child."

Sometimes I wondered whether Coach was actually allowed to talk to us like that.

"Join me at the obstacle course once you're finished." Coach finished, setting off through the double doors.

I decided to go now, before the others finished their food. I stopped in reception to check the map, locating the obstacle course. It wasn't too far. As I was walked along the path, I heard footsteps slapping against the floor behind me. My heart leapt and I turned around, prepared for a goon.

"Oh. It's you." I breathed a sigh of relief, seeing Jimmy, "Won't they see you talking to me?"

"Nope. They're still eating, going for seconds." Jimmy shrugged, walking alongside me, "Where were you this morning?"